Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

trying to conceive at 46?

is it possible to concive at age 46
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2011
Community Volunteer
It is possible but unlikely. At this stage your eggs are damaged by aging, your hormonal cycle has changed significantly and your uterus lining is thinning. You were born with all the eggs you were going to have in your ovaries. Just like the rest of your body, these eggs age and degenerate over time.

At 45, only 5% of couples will be pregnant after a year of trying. That is versus 85% in their 20's.

If you are trying to get pregnant, speak to your doctor. If you are not trying to get pregnant, do not use your age as a birth control method. Only after menopause will you be safe.
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2011
46 and pregnancy
Just thought I would add, I'm 46 and had my 8th baby in January this year, so yes, it is very possible to conceive at 46 and have a healthy pregnancy and baby! x
|

replied January 5th, 2012
Yes it is possible. My cousin had baby at the age of 45.
|
Tags: conceive
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....