Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

trying to become pregnant for over a year!

User Profile
I am eighteen years old, have been trying to become pregnant for over a year now and i am married please help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 30th, 2011
Getting Pregnant Answer A21452
Hello and welcome to eHealth forum!

If you and your partner have been trying for kids for one year and you have not had kids earlier, then you should consult an infertility specialist. There are various reasons for this like ovum not being formed, polycystic ovary, hormone imbalance, hypothyroidism, local infection, blocked tubes etc.

In males it can be infection, STD, varicose veins, hydroceles, poor sperm count, not enough motile sperms etc. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net and without running some basic tests please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once.

You will need tests like Hsg or hysterosalpingography, laproscopy , harmonal level and pelvic sonography, glucose challenge test, thyroid profile, ultrasound guided graffian follicle maturation (in this the growth of ovum is monitored by ultrasound and then specific drugs as needed are given for ovulation and maturation of ovum) and antisperm antibody test. PAP smear, STD panel are the other tests done. Semen analysis is performed. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.