Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

trying again and have irregular periods with PCOD.

User Profile
Hi Doctor,

I have had baby when I was married but we had got the same aborted,as my husband and I did not want it then.
Now I am trying to get pregnant again and have irregular periods with PCOD.How much % of a chance Do I hold to get Pregnant again? Also my Doc had advised me taking glyciphage sr which I have stopped taking now.Please suggest what should I do and can I get pregnant again or not?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2012
Getting Pregnant Answer A40559
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If there has been uterine scarring due to previous abortion, you might face problems with fertility. Although PCOS is known to be associated with irregular periods and anovulatory cycles (menstrual cycles without periodic egg release from ovary), there is possibility of having occasional ovulation. PCOS usually responds to treatment with insulin modifiers as most common cause for PCOS is insulin resistance. Consider discussing with your treating doctor/gynecologist about getting started on these along with the hormonal contraceptives for better control of PCOS and for regularization of periods. Once the ovarian changes are reversed, hormonal contraceptives can be stopped and ovulation inducers can be started to help you get pregnant. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.