Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Trouble leaving a relationship

I have been in a relationship with a women who is bi-polar, I have been with her for 9 years. We have been together since I was 19. At first the relationship was fine but after time I find myself being the only one providing for us and the only one putting effort into the relationship. She constantly spends money that she doesn't earn, smokes Marijuana that I pay for, stopped working because of the disorder and only pays 1/4 of our rent with her social security this is not including utilities, food,necessities, etc. I have been trying to leave for a while but seem to get guilted back in everytime. Everytime the subject comes up she cries, gets mad, gets aggressive, and says she can't live if i'm no there. She has no one else in her life and I feel bad about leaving but can't stay in this cycle. I am worried she may commit suicide if I leave witch makes it even harder, and I don't know how to get out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 29th, 2017
Hi, I really feel sorry for you and know exactly where you are coming from. My hubby is bipolar and I have had years of trouble, in our marriage, with his working history etc. The first and foremost thing to ask: Is she on medication? You cannot live with a person who is bipolar without this! If she is on medication, it may not be correct for her. Take her to a psychiatrist and get other medication.

I would not leave a bipolar patient, it is just too risky. The fact that she is taking Marijuana is she is self medicating, so her medication must be looked into.My hubby used to drink excessively and cause a lot of trouble, until I got him to a doctor and had a proper diagnoses and medication. This medication has transformed him. He is able to work, he is no longer aggressive and violent (a different person).

She needs you, help her! (This is only my point of view).
|

replied May 19th, 2018
Hi,
Sorry to hear from you. I think You should consult with a psychiatrist. He will guide you in a better way than anyone else.
Thanks.
|
Quick Reply