Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

tried applying Zam-Buk, today the rashes are still itchy

User Profile
Hi doctor, my skin has some problems. I don't know what's wrong with it, but I have developed some red rashes on my skin. There are not many rashes, about 15 red dots and a red line that looks like a scratch on my left lower inner thigh and calf. The biggest dots are about 3mm big, and smallest one about 2mm. The line is about 1.5cm long, all the dots and lines are like pimple red. On my right lower inner thigh and calf, there are about 4 dots and a 1cm line. It is very itchy. Last night I tried applying Zam-Buk, today the rashes are still itchy. What are those? Any possibility scabies?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2012
Skin Answer A33644

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. There are 3-4 possibilities which I can think of in view of the symptoms described you.

The first possibility is scabies. It is caused by a mite and the lesions are small red extrememly itchy bumps and they typically occur on the hands,genitalia, feet & elbows. Permethrin & lindane are used for the treatment but this should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist.

Contact dermatitis can also present with similar symptoms. The treatment consists of avoiding the culprit irritant. Using the steroid cream does help. Viral and fungal infection are 2 more possibilities which can have a similar presentation.

Please do consult a dermatologist for the confirmation of the diagnosis as it is not possible to diagnose online.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.