Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Tried all over the counter medicine

User Profile
This is the first time I have had this. It's now day 6, I have tried all over the counter medicines. I am 31 and desperately need some help as its fairly painful and scary. It began on the first day with tight chest pain in the heart area, shortness of breath and discomfort in breathing - waking me up at 4am. Each day it proceeded to get more painful in the heart area, my stomach area have been fine throughout. Now I barely can sleep, can barely swallow liquids as its painful straight afterwards in the chest area. Food is impossible to keep down and far too painful to try and eat, so I have not eaten in 2 days now. I feel awful, tired and am in constant discomfort because of pain. Nothing is working, please help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2016
Acid Reflux Answer A57590

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Considering your age and symptoms, chances of this chest pain being due to cardiac/ heart causes are less. However I would suggest you to get a cardiac check up done first of all to rule out any cardiac cause as any chest pain is cardiac in origin unless proved otherwise. For the same you should get an ECG (electrocardiogram) and cardiac stress testing done.

Other than that, possibility of this chest pain which is waking your up being due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)is also there.

This could be due to eating fatty foods, spicy food, stress and anxiety, excess of alcohol, prolonged use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin or ibuprofen, or infection with bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori).

First of all, eat light dinner and eat nutritious meals at frequent intervals instead of a heavy single meal. Try having your dinner atleast 2 hours prior to sleeping. Exercise daily and raise the head end of the bed by 2 blocks.

If the symptoms persist then you may need medication for your acid reflux for which you should consult your physician. These include medicines like zantac(ranitidine)or prilosec(omeprazole)..

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acid Reflux , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.