Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

tremors under arms during sleep

New to the forum... Hoping someone has experienced this as it's starting to scare me.
2 nights ago right as I was entering sleep I got this bizarre sensation throughout my body, most strongly in re left side of my head, but continued down into upper torso. The best I can describe it is when a limb falls asleep and you wake it up, only not the tickling feeling and much much more intense. I felt this feeling within my dream, and during the dream I was trying to get a family member to drive me to the hospital because of this feeling. Immediately upon waking up the feeling stopped, although my body was tense and I still had a slight sensation in the left side of my head. I stayed up a while recording the experience then attempted to go back to sleep.

Now this is the part that really concerns me. This time after falling asleep (ibelieve I was asleep for a while before it started but I'm not positive) I have this intense, almost violent shuddering, shaking, fluttering feeling, equally right below my armpits near the top of my ribcage on both sides of my body. It was in a very localized area about the side,of my fist, again equal on either side. I remember within the dream i could feel the sensation and was worried about it, but that's all I remember about the dream. I know it wasn't in my head because i could feel a tightness in the same area for a few hours after I woke up. I haven't slept since then. I'm really concerned I've experienced some kind of seizure which could be harmful to me.

I've read,in the past about a shaking feeling during sleep paralysis, and that's what I thought the first experience was. I was not too worried about it. I do think the 2 experiences are related as I've never felt anything remotely similar in my life. And,to happen on the same night? Probably not a coincidence. I had been taking a moderate dose of prescription pain medication for a hurt ankle for a days prior to the experience. I've back problems with anxiety in the past but other than that I'm a fairly healthy individual. I've been researching for hours upon hours and have yet to find a match for either experience. I really hope you guys can provide some answers for me. I'm going to attempt to sleep tonight. However I'm quite anxious. If I experience anything else 8 will make a doctor's appointment first thing in the morning, although I'm not exactly sure who to consult about this. Thanks for taking the time to read this and please leave any ideas/advice/ experiences you may have had. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 24th, 2015
I apologize for all of the typos, I am on my mobile device and am in a hurry to get some feedback before I go to sleep tonight.
|

If it helps I can add my dream during the first experience. It was more of an out of body experience than a dream. Ive done a ton of research on dreaming and am quite familiar of my dreams. During this one I was floating around my house, and have confirmed witnessing something happening in a different part of my house, during the "dream". I always use a mirror and a light switch to perform reality checks, and this time my mirror check seemed to confirm it was no dream.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
First, it's important to realize if you are asleep and dreaming you are not conscious and therefore cannot be sure of what is happening to your body.

What you are describing could a form of a hypnagogic hallucination, which like sleep paralysis is a benign and fairly common occurrence, and by itself nothing to worry about.

It might be helpful for you learn some basic facts about sleep, how it is healthy and restorative, and that might help allay some of your anxiety, which otherwise might exacerbate your symptoms.

I would also suggest discussing all this with your doctor, to be sure any medical causes are identified and treated.
|

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will surely take your advice and do some research. However, I am absolutely certain I felt this sensation, almost pain, in my head during the dream, the dream revolved around me feeling this pain and trying to get a family members attention. Maybe I was in between being awake and asleep? Would it be possible to have such a vivid hallucination that I venture around my home, see myself in the mirror, see and hear my spouse snoring in a different room? That I'm not sure of, but again I am certain I felt sensation in my body throughout this "dream/hallucination".
Now, whenever I suspect I may be dreaming I look into a mirror to verify. I've done this hundreds if not thousands of times. And every time, if i am in fact dreamimg my reflection always appears distorted. Maybe 4 eyes, maybe no face, maybe strange hair or different colored skin. And in this experience I looked over and over for several minutes at my reflection, noticing no difference. I have no explanation for that either. It defies all my knowledge of dreams. But again thank you for the information. I appreciate it.
|
Quick Reply