Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

Treatment options for pancreatic cancer

User Profile
Need advice, how much of your pancreas can be removed and spleen (know it can't all be removed) and what is the outcome for a patient , please explain this friend caught cancer, and he states week his pancreas and spleen were removed. His bile duct was enlarged, and they were fearing cancer again. What and Why?? I thought you can't have pancreas totally removed???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2010
Pancreas Disorders Answer A15020
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether pancreatic cancer can appear again in case the entire pancreas is removed.

The tumor in the pancreas can be located in its head, body or tail. Sometimes the tumor can invade the nearest tissues or organs, or metastasis can appear in the local lymph nodes. Therefore, during surgery the local lymph nodes that drain the lymph from the cancerous organ are removed along with the tumor. Metastatic cancerous tissue may spread before, during or after the surgery, causing formation of metastasis of the same cancer.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your friend to contact his doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options of pancreatic cancer.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreas Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.