User Profile
I was diagnosed when I was 18 years old but I believe I have had since I was young child. I was taking risperdal for several years but I decided to stop as I did not feel it was working and secondly was extremely expensive. I suffer from motor tics and involuntary muscle movements like stomach twitches and teeth gringding to name a few. I also have tics on my face like blinking and lifting eyebrows.

I have really not been treating this problem and have kind of ignored hoping it will go away. I would like to start a plan to improve things through any way possible but with as few drugs as is possible,

Will it improve with age as I get older and are there things that I can do to improve this annoying condition. I am lucky to have a wife who loves me for who I am and does not even pay any attention to any tics.

The problem gets much worse as soon as I am under any kind of stress,both work and personal.even to be late for an appointment can get me really worked up.

Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2008
Neurological Disorders Answer A5157
Current medical status: currently still having symtoms
Current medical treatment: asthma medicine-ventolen

Unfortunately, the cause of Tourette’s syndrome is unknown. Therefore, there is no cure for Tourette’s syndrome. There is no universal medication that works for every patient the same. The most often used medications include: neuroleptics and antihypertensive agents (Clonidine). You might also want to try various relaxation and biofeedback techniques when the tension builds up.

You have already achieved what is most important for people with Tourette’s syndrome; to respect yourself and get respect from the others the way you are.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.