Medical Questions > Cancer > Pancreatic Cancer Forum

Treatment for pancreatic cancer ?

IF ANYONE CAN HELP IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. My Dad came back today from the City of Hope and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that also spread to his liver (the liver biopsy showed it) . He is 75 years old, diabetic, but he feels fine (no abdominal pains or nothing) The hospital wants to pursue chemo they told him they do not suggest at all, surgery. Anyone that has gone through this if you would let us know what to expect, any treatments you may have done, any successes, and suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. We love him very much and are in search of information of any sort to help him.

Thank you very much for reading,
God Bless
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2009
Your father's oncologists at City of Hope are correct in advising against surgery if he is otherwise feeling fine. In about 25 percent of patients who undergo palliative chemotherapy for pancreas cancer, there will be an objective response (for example, shrinkage of tumors, or slowing in the growth of tumors). The role of radiation therapy in the treatment of pancreas cancer is less clear at this time, however, with some clinical studies showing a potential benefit, while other studies do not show any benefit.

Unfortunately, pancreas cancer is a particularly aggressive cancer which is highly resistant to most types of treatment.

I hope that your father remains comfortable, and that he will respond to any treatment that he might choose to undergo.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
There is no role of surgery in metastatic pancreatic cancer unless there are signs of intestinal obstruction. Chemotherapy has some role as palliative treatment. Radiotherapy has no role. Main dilemma is pain control.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreatic Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.