Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Treatment for a strong odor in the urine

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
my urine smells like burning rubber what do you think it is?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A4900
According to the major symptom you describe, heavy unpleasant urine odor (like burning rubber), if this is the only change, it might be due to food or drinks you ingested, such as an asparagus, certain kinds of red meat, coffee, dark tea, synthetic vitamin tablets, onion, garlic, etc. You might discover what it is provoked from, just by noticing and remembering what you eat or drink. Also, this might appear due to highly concentrated urine due to insufficient water intake on a daily basis (at least 2 litres=10 glasses of water daily and even more, only if the kidneys are functioning well).

But, if there are additional symptoms, such as a strong, persistent urge to urinate, burning sensation when urinating, passing frequent, small amounts of urine, blood in the urine (hematuria) or cloudy odorous urine with bacteria in it (bacteriuria), UTI-urinary tract infection might be the reason of this strong unpleasant smell. If this is the case, you might start helping yourself with a cranberry juice or a cranberry extract. If this does not help in few days, you might want to visit your family doctor to prescribe an antibiotic treatment, for at least 10-14 days.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.