Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Treating vaginal ulcers

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
iv recently gone to the doctors as i had terrible burning and discomfoet down below and they told me i have alot of ulcers all around and in my vagina they dont no weather it herpes or not so managed to swab. im in absolute agony and i was wondering if theres any thing i can do to help it? i honestly feel that bad that i want to be sedated im in the worst pain ever and cant stop crying any help?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2009
Womens Conditions Answer A7516
It is hurt to say what the ulcers around the vagina are without seeing them. However, they are highly likely caused by a bacterial infection. Herpes infection is possible, too.

The swab result would determine the exact cause. Adequate treatment would be recommended (antibiotics for the bacterial infection or antiviral drugs for the Herpes infection). Until the results are known, there is not much you can do on your own. Keeping hygiene at very high levels in order to prevent additional infection is highly recommended. Applying anti-inflammatory topical creams on the skin around the ulcers might be a good idea. Please do not apply the cream directly on the ulcers if not recommended by a health care professional, for example, a gynecologist.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.