Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Treating urinary tract infections and urine culture testing

User Profile
About 6 months ago I had a pretty severe UTI (blood in urine, extreme pain). It cleared up with antiboitics after about a week, but the pain remained for at least 2 more weeks. I went to the urologist, and they did an ultrasound of my bladder. They said there was scarring on my bladder b/c of the UTI. It's been over six months and sometimes I can still feel a little pain in my bladder. It gets worse around the time of my period. Is this normal? Will I ever be completely back to normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2009
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A6776

Urinary tract infection is a type of infection that might affect any of the organs that belong to the urinary system including the bladder. This infection is usually associated with frequent, painful urination, and burning when urinating. The infection is usually treated with antibiotics. Sometimes the bacteria might be more or less resistant to certain antibiotics and complete eradication might be impossible to achieve. This might additionally lead to chronic inflammation of the affected organ. So, according to the information you provided (pain in bladder after previous severe urinary tract infection) it is possible that you might be experiencing chronic cystitis.

It might have been good to have a urine culture 10 to 14 days after the end of the treatment to be sure that all the bacteria are killed and the urine is sterile. Different doctors recommend having an additional urine culture one month after the negative urine culture in order to confirm that no bacteria have been omitted in the previous testing.

You might want to visit your family doctor for urinalysis and a urine culture. If bacteria are found, adequate antibiotics might be recommended. As described above, you might want to have a control urine culture 10 to 14 days after the end of the treatment and additionally another urine culture one month after the last urine culture.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.