Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Treating Klinefelter Syndrome

User Profile
My name is Walker Burgess. I was born with a genetic disorder called Klinefelter's Syndrome, which causes a lower amount of testosterone in males than is usual. I want to know the possibilities of being sterile, and how to check oneself without going to a sperm bank or a fertility clinic. I've heard some methods, such as "If your sperm is clear, you're sterile", but I have no clue if I can trust something like that. If there's nothing else to do but go to a fertility clinic or sperm bank, that's fine. I just want to know if there's a way to home-test just in case I can't pay the medical bills for it.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
Fertility Answer A9242
Thank you for your question on

Klinefelter Syndrome is one of the most common causes of fertility problems in males. About 40% of males with this problem have normal testosterone levels in their body. 60% of males with this condition have low levels of testosterone. Causes of infertility are testicular failure and azoospermia.

Men with this condition can get fertile with assisted reproductive techniques like IVF, GIFT and ZIFT. To start with, an assay of testosterone and gonadotrophins will help you in knowing whether you fall into the normal or subnormal testosterone group. Chances of fertility depend on sperm count, so it is very necessary to have a sperm count. Unfortunately, there is no home test which you can do. Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.