Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Treating infection before surgery

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
About 3 weeks ago I went to my family doctor for what I thought was a Urethral Diverticulum, and was subsequently told it was a periurethral abcess and I was also diagnosed with a UTI. A swab was taken of the "abcess" and came back positive for Staph. My doctor put me on Cephalexin at 2g/day for about 8 days, when I was told by another doctor to discontinue it until I saw a Urologist. Saw a Urologist who says it is a Urethral Diverticulum, but he sent me away with an appointment 6 weeks from now.
My question UTI symptoms have returned, with leg pain, and abdominal pain, so I am getting a urine culture done.
But, is it smart to wait to operate on the diverticulum?
Or, once my UTI has cleared up, would it not be best to get started ASAP on diagnostic tests to determine the location and size of the diverticulum for the subsequent surgery? What is the point in waiting 6 weeks?? This is not something that just goes away. So, why am I waiting??

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2010
General Q and A Answer A10011
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether you should treat the infection first and then to have surgery.

Diverticulum is a pouch or sac in the lining of a mucous membrane of a hollow organ. If located somewhere in the urinary system a small amount of urine may be collected in the diverticulum causing small stones and irritation that may develop into inflammation. An abscess is a pus-filled cavity resulting from inflammation and is usually caused by bacterial infection. The abscess is located and surrounded by a cavity. Whatever kind of surgery that is performed in the human body there should not be any underlying infection because the infection may be disseminated throughout the body causing sepsis and tearing of the stitches.

According to the data that you described you may experience diverticulum with possible underlying urinary infection. You might need to have a bacterial culture from a urine sample with an antibiogram. Take antibiotics according to the antibiogram to cure the infection. You may also consider having a contrast micturating cystogram to rule out diverticulum. Consult with a urologist about whether a surgery is required in your condition.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a urologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment of your current condition.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.