Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Treating bone cancer with Parkinson's

User Profile
Hi my 78yr old father suffers with Parkinson\'s and Parkinson\'s related Dementia has just been diagnosed with bone cancer. We have reason to believe he had a spot on his prostrate which has spread to his bones. Have seen his bone scan and predominantly in his R hip. Also has shadows on his shoulders and other areas. None on his arms/hands nor legs/feet. Have only been able to speak to his doctor once! and I did ask what stage he was at but all doctor would tell me is that due to his age and ill health they won't be doing any invasive treatment. Will be giving him an injection (LHRH i think) every 90 days and will be on tables. We are to keep him comfortable and pain free! From what he wasn't saying I can only assume he is in final stages?

Can you advise?

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Bone Cancer Answer A12319
Thanks for using this forum..

Prostate cancer spreads to bones rapidly,if the spot in prostate itself is the cancer..Doctors confirm it by biopsy or certain blood tests or can be confirmed from mets in the bone..Assuming the bone secondaries are there this is an advanced stage of disease and palliation drugs are given like the LHRH..also if its very painful morphine might be given..Some more chemotherapy drugs may be tried keeping the quality of life of patient as top most priority...

take care...

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
1/2 million Americans are diagnosed with Parkinsons. Click here for basic information and a definition of Parkinson Disease, a movement disorder of the brain. ...
Do doctors know what causes Parkinson's Disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? More info on risk factors here....
We outline the common symptoms of Parkinsons and list the types of movement disorders that accompany the disease. Plus, know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.