Hello!
I recently traveled abroad with my fiancee. The first day on our vacation, we walked maybe 14 miles. I definitely didn't eat enough during the day, and that night I had a very dangerous and scary hypoglycemic episode. In general, the more I exercise, the harder it is to keep my blood sugar in tact. So my question is - when traveling, are there any snacks or food/drink I can pack so this isn't such a problem? I picked up some nuts and protein bars, but was wondering if there was something more effective out there. We hope to travel more together in the future, but this has definitely become a issue. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2018
Oral Fluids with sugar in them such as gastrolyte and instant energy giving sugar candies would help during travel. Also carry a Glucometer with you to help monitor the blood sugar during such an episode to determine if it is true hypoglycemia or there is a decrease blood pressure or any other abnormality. Do consult your doctor to offer you the necessary workup regarding this issue

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Exercise
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.