Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Trauma to vagina

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
My current gf had that (2 hematomas and a trauma blood clot) happen to her 2-3 years ago by her ex boyfriend via fingering.

She went to her gyno and the gyno said he had only seen this once and admitted to not having much experience in that area, he did a surgery and said she should be better.

Now 2-3 year later and after the surgery I come along and whenever we have sex it hurts her and the pain is very intense and we usually have to stop.

This girl is a great girl and i'm only the second guy she's been with I don't want her whole sex life ruined because of her overzealous ex not knowing how to treat a woman.

Basically I told her she should tell her gyno it still hurts see what he says and if he still doesn't know enough to call other gynos and see if they have experience.

I really want to help this girl and want us to be able to have pain free sex.

What are her options?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2010
Hi there, thank you for posting your question on Ehealthforum. This is not intended as a substitute to visiting your own doctor.

Dyspareunia, or pain during intercourse can be caused by either something inside the vagina or outside in the pelvic organs. Your girlfriend's difficulties may or may not be related to her trauma of 3 years ago. Here are some other possibilities:

Inside the vagina some common causes of dyspareunia are:
(1) Vaginismus or painful spasm of the vaginal muscles.
(2) Vaginitis or infection.
(3) Perineal tear.

Outside the vagina some common causes are:
(1) Endometriosis.
(2) Ovarian Cyst.
(3) Uterine fibroid.
(4) Diverticular disease.
(5) Pelvic Inflammatory Disease’

In any event, what you suggest is absolutely correct. All of these conditions need appropriate investigation. She needs to go back to see her gyn. Good luck.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.