I would like someone with expertise to answer a few questions if they can, thank you.

My MRI says: Swelling and signal alteration along the course of the anterior cruciate ligament is identified and the anterior cruciate ligament is focally disrupted at the point where it crosses the posterior cruciate ligament. The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.

I am wondering if this is a complete tear or a could it be a partial tear? I also have a bone bruise on the lateral and posterior aspect of my lateral tibial plateau.

Thank you for any help. I just don't know what focally disrupted means.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2014
Especially eHealthy
jasonmh1016,

According to your MRI report, you have a complete tear of the ACL ("the anterior cruciate ligament is focally disrupted at the point where it crosses the posterior cruciate ligament").

Unfortunately, the ACL cannot heal itself like the collateral ligaments. The ACL in within the joint, being bathed in synovial fluid, which prevents healing. Thus, if the patient cannot build up the muscles around the knee, to prevent instability episodes, the ACL should be reconstructed.

It is extremely common to see bone bruises with an ACL tear. In fact, they are looked for, as they can sometimes be the biggest indicator for a cruciate tear.

You need to discuss this MRI with your orthopedic surgeon.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....