Hi all,
I have a relative who recently had an episode of transient global amnesia (TGA). Her short term memory reset every 30 seconds and she could not recall information from (approximately) the previous two years. The episode resolved after 6 or so hours. CT scans and heart checks showed no signs of tumours, strokes or causes of stroke so the diagnosis of TGA was made.
Just hoping there are others out there who have suffered - or knows someone who suffered - this ailment and could tell me whether or not they found there to be some lasting effects. My relative says every now and then that she doesn't feel quite right and is forgetting things (though I keep assuring her that the forgetting things is just her usual absentmindedness!) Smile
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 6th, 2009
I just had one myself and I have lost my memories for 6 hours. For the last week and a half, I have felt fuzzy headed and by the end of every day I have a headache which comes out of the top of my head. I attribute this to stress related to the incident, the fact that my mind can't help but try to find itself again and the fact that 6 hours of my life have disappeared. Hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
TGA is a benign disorder of short term memory loss of unknown etiology. Risk factors are old age and migraine history. There is no treatment available for it.
However, if recurrences are more then seizures should be excluded.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.