Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Transient chest pain followed by tingling in back of left leg

User Profile
I had a heart attack almost 2 months ago and have 3 stents now. These new symptoms caused me to go to the ER to check myself out a few weeks ago.

I would have a slight, stabbing pain, always in the identical spot on the left side of the chest, lasting only 2-3 seconds. Almost instantly it was a followed sensation of a tingling (not pain) down the back of my left leg. This began by happening once an hour, then more frequently, then many times in a row.

The ER did blood work and an ECG with no significant findings. However, I was scheduled for a nuclear stress test in a month.

Any thoughts about this? I take an SSRI (Celexa) along with the usual blood pressure meds, beta blocker, Plavix, coumadin and aspirin. Could it be an interaction of the brain meds (SSRI + beta blocker)? This syndrome has reoccured several times since the initial evening it started. It resembles the muscle twitches sometimes caused by the SSRI (which I occasionally have) but there is the addition of the stabbing pain.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2010
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out.

Blood pressure changes and disturbed rhythm of the heart are known side effects of the use of citalopram (celexa).

However, any stabbing pains in the chest and tingling sensations in the legs are not known to be the side effects.

You need to be a little cautious as you are taking anti-coagulants (Coumadin) and the use of SSRI’s tend to increase the risk of bleeding.

The tingling pain in the leg is suggestive of the pain of sciatica and needs to be worked up on those lines. Pease do consult a neurologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.