Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Transferring HIV without symptoms ?

User Profile
I cheated on my GF with another woman a few months ago. It was fully protected oral and vaginal sex with someone I've known fora few years. My GF is in her Mid 40's and taking medication that suppresses her immune system. Is it possible that I could have contracted HIV and not have any symptoms but passed it along to her and she has symptoms first? She has the flu sore throat and swollen left lymph node in her neck.wehave unprotected sex.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2018
HIV and AIDS Answer A62901
Doubts have no cure.

If your other sexual contacts have sexually transmitted infections, and you have unprotected intercourse then there is a risk of infection to be transmitted to you and your spouse.

the best way forward would be to get tested for STDs, include HIV, Hepatitis C, hepatitis B, gonorrhea, syphilis, Herpes, etc.

The window period / Incubation period for specific STDs are as follows: -

1. Gonorrhea - usually 2 to 7 days after the exposure.

2. Chlamydia - usually 2 to 6 weeks, but can be longer.

3. Syphilis - usually 10 to 90 days.

4. HIV - usually 4 weeks to 3 months, but rarely could be up to 6 months.

5. Hepatitis A - 15 to 50 days.

6. Hepatitis B - usually 45-180 days, with an average of 60 to 90 days.

7. Hepatitis C - ranges from 2 weeks to 26 weeks or 6 months - commonly, 6 to 9 weeks.

Testing for specific conditions should be done only after waiting for the above mentioned periods. Testing before them can be done to clear your anxiety, but the results may not be valid, and you may need to retest, at a later date.

I hope this helps.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.