Hi
I'm a bit new to all this but thought it worth a go. Its nice to see there are people going through the same thing. I find myself addicted to tramadol, which I take due to having a couple of protruding discs in my back. I used to be addicted to co-codamol and came off these sometime ago but had to start on tramadol due to the pain. I take 2 50mg tabs in the morning along with a pregabolin then the same in the evening. I recently ran out for a weekend and had really bad flu symptoms with head aches etc. I really want to get off these horrible tablets and want to go cold turkey as i find the whole cutting down process drags it out.
I have heard l-theanine supplements can help with the withdrawal. Does anyone know of good ways to help getting some sleep as this is the part i find most awful, laying awake at night tossing and turning but feeling exhausted.
Is there anyone out there that has found any good natural painkillers to help when they want to come off anything with opiates or that which is addictive.

help please
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
albertaddict,

While tramadol is not a true opioid, it does have opioid-like properties, since, among other effects, it does act at the mu opioid receptor.

There is a "home remedy" out there for opioid detox, called the "Thomas recipe". The big problem I have with it, is the use of benzodiazapines, which can be addicting themselves, and are a controlled medication.

The other aspects of the formula may be of use to you. However, the best way to get off of any medicine like this is with a slow taper, under a physician's supervision.

Good luck.

THOMAS RECIPE

Taper your Vicodin (or other opioid) dose as much as you can before hand, and if possible take some time off from work or any other obligations you might have.

What you need:
1. Valium or any other type of benzodiazepine like Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax etc…
2. Immodiun.
3. L-Tyrosine.
4. Mineral supplement that contains at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium. You may not find a supplement that contains all of these together. If not, then buy separately.
5. Vitamin B6.
6. Access to hot showers or baths.

Putting it all into action:

“Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas, pickles, and ketachup are good sources of potassium if you can’t find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you’re aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn’t need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don’t underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opioid WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don’t take it, however, if you don’t need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opioid WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the “coffee jitters,” consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opioid WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

- Thomas”

Again, the best way to detox or get off of an opioid medication is through a slow taper, under physician supervision. The above is just a recipe that has been around the internet for a while, for detoxing from opioids, when you have to do it yourself in a short amount to time. And, the one big problem with it is the use of a benzodiazepine, a controlled, possibly addicting, medicine itself.

Good luck.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Hi
That's brilliant thanks. I'll give it a go with all the supliments I think, just without the valium. I could easily get stuck on that too given half the chance. Do you know any other things that might help with sleep? I'll try lots of nytol. I've got a couple of strips of tablets left so think i'll stop when they run out as I've always been better going cold turkey. With stuff like co codamol and anti d's.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
|
Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....