Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

trace of fluid in Pouch of Douglas. Should I be concerned?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I had a transvaginal ultrasound which showed a trace of fluid in the Pouch of Douglas, but was otherwise normal. The report said:"essentially normal pelvis".
I've also had mild lower backache for the past 6 weeks (it comes and goes) and a yeast infection for the past 4 months (I've tried everything), if that is relevant.
Should I be concerned about the trace of fluid in the POD? The US was done on the 7th day of my period, so it is unlikely that it is due to ovulation. I am 20 yrs old.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 3rd, 2012
Womens Conditions Answer A35620
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Fluid in POD (Pouch of Douglas) can be due to blood, pus or other fluids. The causes could vary from ovulation, irritable bowel syndrome, and reproductive concerns like ectopic pregnancy, rupture of ovarian cysts, Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and other conditions that can cause fluid to collect in the POD. The exact cause can only be made out after careful evaluation and examination of the fluid along with correlation with your symptoms and examination findings. Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation, discussion of your investigation results and further assistance. Treatment as appropriate (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the symptoms. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.