Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

total good-for-nothing ?

I can not get it out of my head that that's exactly what I am. All I see are people with the things I want, while I'm stuck with my pointless dead-end job and general blah existence. All I can think about are how my brothers are so sucessful compared to me (like most people), while I'm the one whose screwed their life up. I hate these feelings. Can't turn them off. Do u ever wish you could just stop thinking?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sure, I think most of us do. What do you love to do? I mean really love? If you could take classes in college which ones would you take?

Whatever you answer to the above is what you should be doing. Success if not measured in the money you make or the things you have but rather in the way you contribute to the world and what type of person you are. If you do what you love then you will likely find financial success follows.

Are you always down like this? You may want to consider talking to your doctor if you always feel this down. It is hard to see the light when blackness covers your eyes. Depression is like that.
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Experienced User
You may have a chemical imbalance, talk to a doctor about it. It is not always your fault when you have these feelings of inadequacy. There is something in our body mentally that can develop at any moment. No one is immune to these feelings. Do not beat yourself up. Stand tall - be proud - life if good! Make yourself happy. If you are not happy in your job or current lifestyle, and feel physically/mentally inadequate then change it. You can do it! If you can't, again, talk to someone who can help and even take a mild antidepressant in case you have some kind of imbalance. Keep it private - no one has to know. Make yourself proud. As long as you are HAPPY, that is all that matters! There are so many things out there to offer young adults - get a new job, take some night courses, go to a tech school, etc. Again, stand proud and do not let anyone belittle you. Surely your siblings do not feel the feelings you think they do. If something were to happen to you they would be devastated! Just do it for yourself - no one else!!!!!!!
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Hello
Thanks for replying,

Umm... I'm already in school and it's going ok. I just can't see anything ultimeately working out for me, like karma's gonna get me, or something, and make it all go wrong. Also, I'm already on effexor, and I've tried 'counselling' and found it pretty unimpressive. I'm not a young adult either, I'm 32.
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Effexor was not good for me - not to say it is not good for you, but maybe another antidepressant would be better. Just continue to tell yourself that you are living, breathing, not in a trauma unit, not dying of cancer, etc. Be proud of who you are. Who says that your brothers are more successful or happier than you? They may be feeling the same way as you are! Try getting your meds changed and if that doesn't work, try a therapist! Life is way too short to be miserable and alone. I assume you are not married and do not have children.
|

replied June 13th, 2008
I find you ridiculous
The whole 'snap out of it' thing is just plain patronising! Don't contact me again.
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Experienced User
Opus, who are you talking to - eeyore46 or antigone? If it is me, I am so very, very sorry to have upset you. Please private message me or reply. I am so sorry if I upset you.
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Experienced User
If you are referring to my post, I am so very, very sorry. In no way did I mean for you to "snap out of it". I have been fighting anxiety/depression for 3 years now. You can't just snap out of it. I am sorry if I left that impression with my last post. Oh my gosh, it is a miserable feeling. Again, I am so sorry if I posted something to upset you. Please accept my apology.
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Experienced User
I find you ridiculous
Opus, I did not mean to patronize you, I only wanted to lift your confidence and help you out. Again, I am so sorry, please forgive me if I upset you. That is not what this forum is about. We should all be here to help each other out and give support. Again, I am sorry for upsetting you. I am not a therapist or counselor, just someone who knows about insecurities and depression/anxiety. Please respond - if not, please forgive.
|

replied June 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Opus,

How are you feeling? Are you still down? Effexor may not be the right medication for you. Have you talked to your doctor about how you are feeling? Maybe a medication change is in order.

You are still young. 32 is young. You have many years ahead of you. Are taking classes you enjoy? What classes would you take just for the joy of learning? If you enjoy the class you will experience success. That will help you gain more self confidence. The self confidence will prompt you to be more sure of yourself and what you want. When you figure that out, success in life will follow.

I hope you are feeling better. Keep us updated.
|

replied January 1st, 2013
total worthless
im a total worthless n useless person.. i never make my parents or family proud.. not that im not trying.. i tried.. but still im totally useless.. my parents once called me good for nothing.. first i thought it was a challenge to me to strive... but when i tried my best to strive.. still i found that im total worthless.. im 27 but still study for degree... now im struggle my very best to success but so many set back that ive encountered.. so many failure i had that why i study late.. i cant generate any income for myself.. all i do is use my parents money till now... i want to support them too... but IM GOOD FOR NOTHING.. sometimes i had a feeling saying that.. i should die, so that my parent can use the money for my 2 younger sisters who is still studying too... all my frens whose the same age as mine... most of them have good job n pay.. most of them are married n engaged too... i never had a girlfren b4 bcos im too busy struggling with my useless life... when im want to go exam.. i forgot to print my exam slip which is compulsory to enter exam hall.. why suddenly i can forgot that important thing... i guess.. im total loser.. good for nothing.. i had this problem since i was 15.. now im 27.. still cant do anything good to myself or what more to other people... sigh....
|

replied January 1st, 2013
total worthless
im a total worthless n useless person.. i never make my parents or family proud.. not that im not trying.. i tried.. but still im totally useless.. my parents once called me good for nothing.. first i thought it was a challenge to me to strive... but when i tried my best to strive.. still i found that im total worthless.. im 27 but still study for degree... now im struggle my very best to success but so many set back that ive encountered.. so many failure i had that why i study late.. i cant generate any income for myself.. all i do is use my parents money till now... i want to support them too... but IM GOOD FOR NOTHING.. sometimes i had a feeling saying that.. i should die, so that my parent can use the money for my 2 younger sisters who is still studying too... all my frens whose the same age as mine... most of them have good job n pay.. most of them are married n engaged too... i never had a girlfren b4 bcos im too busy struggling with my useless life... when im want to go exam.. i forgot to print my exam slip which is compulsory to enter exam hall.. why suddenly i can forgot that important thing... i guess.. im total loser.. good for nothing.. i had this problem since i was 15.. now im 27.. still cant do anything good to myself or what more to other people... sigh....
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....