Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Total body irradiation and bone marrow transplantation

User Profile
When I was around 10 I was diagnosed with Lukemia. Then I had a Bone Marrow Transplant and radiation theorapy. After that, I think I was normal. But my height has not grown from the age of 15. I am now 22 and my height has not increased at all. And I also have problems some days trying to remember things (short term memory), long term memory doesn;t seem to be a problem. So, is there anything I can do to increase my height now? I didn't have GH when I had my BMT, and I read on the net that BMT at a young age has an effect on the height. And that patients that undergo radiation theorapy have short term memory problems as well..

Is there anything I can do to increase my height, or improve my memory Doc?? I mean I am really grateful to god that I am still alive, it was a deadly desease and many people don't recover. But is there anything I can do now to increase my height or improve my short term memory?

THX A LOT IN ADVANCE DOC

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2008
Leukemia Answer A4375
Current medical status: Short height, short term memory problem

Current medical treatment: None

It is true that total body irradiation (TBI) before bone marrow transplantation (BMT) was done can cause a deficit of the growth hormone (GH) and impaired puberty development. This consequently causes growth impairment. As TBI and BMT were done at an earlier age the growth impairment would be greater. GH supplementation and sex-hormone replacement therapy could help. But now your growth and puberty are finished so there is nothing you can do.

TBI and chemotherapy in patients with BMT can also cause psychological disorders (including memory loss). Children younger than 3 years are at highest risk for decreased cognitive abilities. Little or no decline in cognitive skills (including memory) after transplantation is observed in children older than 3 years, so It doesn't seem that your “short term memory problems” are due to the BMT.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.