Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Does It Apply to Each Month?

On Sunday night I finished up my period and started taking my active pill again. Monday morning I had sex though, without a condom although we used the pull-out method. As paranoid as I am though, I read through the birth control pamplet and it said to use a back-up method for the first 7 days after taking your first active pill. Does that only apply to first time users or every time you start your first active pill of the month? I've been on the pill for 3 months now.

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2007
you're fine. when it says to use backup for the first seven days. it just means for the first month. after the first seven days of the first month you are protected. as long as you take them on time everyday, you shouldnt worry. =)
|

replied July 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Yeah, twinkletoes is right on. Once you are past the first 7 days of the first month you are on birth control, as long as you continue to use it properly you will be protected every day of every month after that (yes, including the pill-free or placebo pill days).

No need to use the pull-out "method". You are 99% protected and I'm sure your partner would agree the extra teeny amount of "protection" given by the pull-out "method" isn't worth it.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...