I just turned 20 a month ago and I've been dealing with acne ever since I got my period...which was at age 10. I've been to tons of derms. and they didn't help at all. I also went to a endro. and he gave me birth control pills. Didn't really help my skin and I gained weight. I tried accutane on the highest dose when I was 14 or 15, but it gave me VERY bad headaches on the 2nd month or so. I couldn't move so I stopped taking them. It's been years since I tried anything for my acne. Right now, my face is clearer then it ever has been. I still breakout, but nothing like before. I also break out on my back/check, but not as bad as before. I just went to a NP a few days ago and she prescribed spiro. I thought I might have one of the following:

Polycystic ovarian syndrome - She said no because I wasn't overweight (pretty thin) Oh & question. I thought I had ovarian cysts because I would get really sharp pains before my period. I thought a cyst was popping or something...but the nurse & np said that if I were to have one & if it popped, then I would be at a hospital. My bio teacher told me it was one when I told her about it so can anyone help me out?

Now I'm taking spiro. I wish I could get to the cause of my acne, and it's frustrating because I want to CURE it, not hide the symptoms. I want to go to a endro again, but I have no insurance or anything...I have to pay with cash. Well, I'll be taking 50 mg of it. Hope it helps, but I wish I didn't have to take medication.

Oh & one last thing. I have red, depressed scarring (pretty bad). I've been taking the exfol serum & super cp serum from skin biology for about 2 months I think. I think there was some improvement...but I'm not sure. Has anybody used their products? Any info. is appreciated you guys. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 21st, 2009
Hormone Related Acne in Women
I have battled acne since I was 18...constant rounds of antibiotics off/on for 9 years--some so strong I was dizzy. Then I finally had a derm who was willing to give me Accutane (prior derms said my acne was hormonal not cystic so accutane wouldn't help). It actually did help for awhile, then about 3 years later it started acting up again always at the chin/jaw line with some unbelievable undergrounders.

I know it has to be hormonal because when I got pregnant with my first child at 35 my skin became amazing...friends all had horrible skin the minute they had pregnancy hormones in their body--opposite for me--reinforcing the hormonal nature of my acne. Pregnancy #2 cleared up my skin again and then about a year later back to the horrible skin.

So all of this is so frustrating especially since I am now 42 years old--way too old for acne!! For the past 4 weeks I started using Proactiv because I just didn't want to spend $$$ on yet another derm who will put me on meds. I must say my skin has improved about 90-95% in just 4 weeks. I wish I would have tried it sooner!!!

My gynocologist told me it is quite likely the progesterin that is produced in the ovaries is the culprit because it drops significantly during pregnancy and my skin will likely clear up after my total hysterectomy (due to large fibroids and uterine/colon cancer family history).

So a long answer to your question, I'd try Proactiv and see if it works for you...I bought it at our local mall (one of those little kiosks in the center of the mall). I totally feel your frustration....I've been living it too for 24 years! UGH!
GOOD LUCK!
|

replied December 21st, 2009
Hormone Related Acne in Women
I have battled acne since I was 18...constant rounds of antibiotics off/on for 9 years--some so strong I was dizzy. Then I finally had a derm who was willing to give me Accutane (prior derms said my acne was hormonal not cystic so accutane wouldn't help). It actually did help for awhile, then about 3 years later it started acting up again always at the chin/jaw line with some unbelievable undergrounders.

I know it has to be hormonal because when I got pregnant with my first child at 35 my skin became amazing...friends all had horrible skin the minute they had pregnancy hormones in their body--opposite for me--reinforcing the hormonal nature of my acne. Pregnancy #2 cleared up my skin again and then about a year later back to the horrible skin.

So all of this is so frustrating especially since I am now 42 years old--way too old for acne!! For the past 4 weeks I started using Proactiv because I just didn't want to spend $$$ on yet another derm who will put me on meds. I must say my skin has improved about 90-95% in just 4 weeks. I wish I would have tried it sooner!!!

My gynocologist told me it is quite likely the progesterin that is produced in the ovaries is the culprit because it drops significantly during pregnancy and my skin will likely clear up after my total hysterectomy (due to large fibroids and uterine/colon cancer family history).

So a long answer to your question, I'd try Proactiv and see if it works for you...I bought it at our local mall (one of those little kiosks in the center of the mall). I totally feel your frustration....I've been living it too for 24 years! UGH!
GOOD LUCK!
|
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....