Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Osteoarthritis And Hip Replacement Surgery

Hello all, I'm very new to this. Having discovered this site and finding it so useful I thought I ask for some help. By the way I live in the UK. I'm doing well after having my op. which was an uncemented titanium and ceramic with plastic liner. Still on one crutch and walking around my home unaided when I feel up to it but now I'm getting bored! Walks are not enough now.
When do think I'll be allowed to go for bike rides again? I'm 44, other than dodgy hips I'm healthy, strong and mum to a nine year old, so I have to be active! Also if I did get into the bathtub how would I get out again without comprimising the 90 degree rule? I used to love my bubble baths. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2007
everyone is different... ask your orthopaedic surgeon at your next checkup.
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hello and welcome. As for the bubble baths, I think you will need to wait until you are strong and able to get up and move unassisted. then you can try to experiment the action of lowering yourself with the aid of your good leg and arms into the tub without going to 90 degrees. if you want to ride a bike, you can try a stationary bike and raise the seat up so that you won't be bending the hip at 90 degrees. Just remember to take it a litttle easy for a while. Can you go to the local pool? I would think that would be a wonderful way to exercise safely while still observing total hip precautions. (Please don't fall on the slick floor though!)
|
Must Read
Osteoarthritis is a type of joint disease that causes the most disability in the U.S. But what is osteoarthritis? Review types of osteoarthritis and stages here...
Aging may cause osteoarthritis, but what behaviors put you at risk of developing this type of joint disease? And are you at risk of osteoarthritis?...
Symptoms of osteoarthritis progressively worsen over time. What signs and symptoms can you look for? And when should you seek medical help for joint pain?...