Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout Patient Going to Brazil

My dad suffers from gout. He had a first attack some 3 months back that lasted for some 5 days. Yesterday he was saying that he has to go to Brazil urgently in some 2-3 days time since a serious problem has cropped up in business. Mother tried to convince him to send someone else in his place but he says that it is very important for him to go and that nothing will happen to him. But we are really worried. What if he gets an attack similar to the last one? Mum told me to look for a list of all hospitals in Brazil but I am not getting a getting good info on the hospitals in Brazil. I came across Brazil Pharmacy Directory where you can get the address and the phone number of the local pharmacies in Brazil grouped by cities. It would have been wonderful if I can get similar info on the hospitals in Brazil too. Does someone know where I can get this information? Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Traveling and long flight are known to increase the chance of gout attacks. If I were making the trip in a few days I would get an OK from the doctor and do below:

*** Before the trip.

1) Start taking prophylactic dosage of gout attack medicine, such as Indomethacin 25 mg, or Colchicine 0.6 mg a day. This can prevent a gout attack and catch it early if the attack occurs.

2) Avoid dehydration. Drink 2~3 litres or more of water a day until the color of urine is clear.

3) Avoid heat, stress, and exhaustion.

4) Avoid fasting and gorging. Have more smaller meals instead of fewer large ones.

5) Keep the urine pH above 6. Test it with a pH paper. If it's below 6, drink some baking soda in water. (Read the product directions.)

5) Avoid alcohol beverage. If it can't be avoided, taking some baking soda in water before and after the drinks to keep the urine pH above 6.

6) Ask the doctor for the gout attack med to take to the trip. If Indomethacin is given, ask for some Nexum, Prilosec, etc in case Indomethacin hurts the stomach. If Colchicine is given, ask for some Lomotil to stop the side effect diarrhea.

7) Also ask the doctor for some strong pain killer (Opiate anesthesia) for the emergency use.

*** During the flight -- drink plenty of water, avoid fasting for too long, and walk around often.

*** During the trip: Do 1)~5) and

Cool Take the gout attack med at the first twinge. If not sure if it is a gout attack or not, take the gout med anyways. It's better to be safe than sorry.

9) In case can't get to the hospital quickly and have no gout med around when gout attacks, go to the local store to buy some Ibuprofen and baking soda. Amer. Academy of Family Physicians recommends taking Ibuprofen 800 mg 4 times a day to treat gout attacks.

More gout info can be found at Icuredmygout.org . Bon voyage.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....