Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

How to Cure Acid Reflux Disease Naturally

Hi,
My brother's girlfriend works in a health food and herb store, she's told me that deglycyrrhizinated licorice (or licorice root...in supplement form) can be used to help relax the stomach.
Basically what she said was that it acts as a natural stomach coater, it also helps with digestion and heartburn (and inflammed muscles for those who have nasty chest and back pains) to ease that icky burning up the esophagus.
If you're going to try it, make sureee and i can't stress it enough that it's Deglycyrrhizinated licorice, because if it's glycyrrhizinated then it may give u high blood pressure.
So far it seems to relax my GERD quite a bit, it may not be a complete solution to medication but it's worth a try.
Anyway, take care.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes, licorice is good medicine.

So is ginger, by the way.
|

replied October 9th, 2013
Experienced User
It helped me a lot.
|

replied February 12th, 2008
Apples are a great natural cure
Another great natural cure is apples and similarly, apple cider vinegar. The great thing about apples is they're inexpensive, available at every corner market and they do wonders for your overall health. Like the saying goes, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away."
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2008
Aw thank you a ton for this information, I hate having acid reflux. I love orange juice and anything sadly acidic based and its just a nasty feeling to have im real glad ive found out that these things can take it down. Smile
|

replied May 29th, 2008
pobiotics
Probiotics is also a great natural way to help acid reflux. It also helps other things like your digestive system and stuff. You can buy them at herb and vitamin stores.
|

replied July 17th, 2008
heartburn and lemon juice
next time you have heartburn, drink the freshly squeezed juice of one lemon. it's an instant cure. just don't add sugar or anything otherwise the results are different
|

replied August 11th, 2012
DGL works great for many stomach problems including reflux, however, it works differently than how the OP describes. Here is a link to a good description: http://www.ehow.com/way_5523047_dgl-work-c ure-acid-reflux.html

I used DGL for several weeks while fighting GERD; it is much better than any standard OTC med, with few if any side effects. Oddly, I had one, probably the only person ever, but when I took it at the full recommended dosage before every meal, it cut back on my sleep. After I figured this out, I started cutting the pills in half and that cured the sleeping problem and DGL still took care of the stomach. Search for "Ultra" and you will find a good tasting one!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 3rd, 2018
Experienced User
Spicy foods, foods that have a lot of acid (like tomatoes and oranges), and coffee can make heartburn symptoms worse in some people. If your symptoms are worse after you eat a certain food, you may want to stop eating that food to see if your symptoms get better. Do not smoke or chew tobacco.
|

User Profile
replied April 4th, 2018
If you want to stop acid reflux you need to understand what causes it.

Both stress and aging cause a decrease in stomach acid production which allows bacteria to grow in the stomach.

These bacteria generate gas and acid that results in the “belch,” “burp” and “bloat” syndrome.

Prevention includes - eating small meals, no fried foods, and consuming eight glasses of water each day to prevent constipation.

Treatment should include Betaine Hydrochloride and Pancreatic Enzymes at 75-200 mg 3 times per day, before each meal;

For severe attacks of “heartburn” include any of the commercial products (ROLAIDS) and the herbs Peppermint (Mentha piperita) and Angelica (Angelica archangelica).

Acidophilus also helps during meals as well as salt.

Salt your food to taste. Salt does not cause high blood pressure and restricting salt will not reduce your risk of high blood pressure - in fact restricting salt will shorten your life and make your very short life miserable.

Salt is the raw material needed to manufacture stomach acid.

Stomach acid is hydrochloric acid that is necessary to digest food, ensure absorption of minerals, activate pepsin (protein digestive enzyme produced by the stomach) and activates the "intrinsic factor" necessary to absorb vitamin B12.

See, you need many essential nutrients in your daily diet.

Restricted salt diets result in hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) and will increase risks of nutritional deficiency diseases including but not limited to -

Obesity (reduced absorption of minerals increases the munchies), diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, osteoporosis, kidney stones, cataracts, fibromyalgia, etc.

You need 90 ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS EVERYDAY

If you don’t have the needed nutrients in complete numbers and optimal amounts, over time you are going to get a deficiency disease!
|

replied June 25th, 2018
Experienced User
Natural acidity treatment targets the root cause of acidity. It is both safe and effective. It is formulated with natural ingredients.
|
Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....