Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Question About "getting Enough"

I would like to know how you can tell if your baby has 'gotten enough' of your milk, and when do you need to supplement with cereal, etc..

I have read on here some ladies asking when is enough, enough, and the answers they got was you will know when the baby has had enough...

This is sort of hard to explain:
I am bottle feeding breastmilk to my babe who is 3 1/2mo. old. He has been b.fed since birth, by bottle.
I think he must feed maybe 8ish times a day...and sometimes he will only take 3 to 4 oz., and other times, he will take maybe 6 oz.
How do I know that he is getting enough when all he 'wants' is the 3-4 or 6 oz. per feed??? (actually, in reality, I'm not sure how many times I feed him, I haven't really counted...it is hard because my mom is here, and sometimes she feeds him when I have to go out, so i don't really know how many times he is actually being fed.
I am simply estimating....
Just was wondering if he is getting enough feeds in, or getting enough at one feed. His wt. at last appt. with Dr. was 13 lbs, 4 oz. (that was at 2 and 1/2 mo.

Thanks all, for any and all answers..I appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
The only way to know if he is getting enough to eat is to measure his "output"...if you know what I mean!
He should have about 6 wet diapers /day.
As for the poop output...some babies go over 1 week without a BM so its hard to define if he is getting enough based on poo. My little guy goes once or twice a day.
It sounds like he is gaining well though! Which is also an indicator.
My little man is 4 months and he is just over 12 pounds which is in the normal weight range for his age!
Keep up the good work!
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
Getting Enough
thank you jozzie for the reply. I was beginning to think nobody was going to reply to my question.
So, I thank you very much for coming to my aid.
And yes, he has well over 6 wet diapers per day..so I guess whatever I am doing,, is working...lol.
Susie.
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
It seems as though he is very healthy and eating great by his weight. It sounds like you are doing a great job feeding him, like she said keep up the good work!
|

replied July 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Getting Enough
thank you also worried... for replying. I really appreciate it.

And..it does wonders to hear that you are doing the right thing, so thanks for the compliment...it makes a person feel good that she is on the right track, considering this is my first baby and I really have NO experience with babies, or children...I never babysat before, nor do I have any cousins etc.etc..or nieces or nephews..so..I am brand spanking new at this mothering thing.

Thanks again..
Susie.
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....