I applied for a job many months ago, which will require a medical including screening for the use of any illegal drugs. I have now been contacted and will probably have to go for this medical at some point over the next couple of months. Incidentally bupa will be carrying out the medical. Unfortunately for me, a few weeks ago I partook in smoking some cannabis. This was over a couple of evenings, and I have to stress the one and only time for many years, and involved maybe 8 joints in total.
What I would like to know, if anyone can tell me, is how long it will take to get it out my system so it isn't detected. I have heard figures ranging from 3 weeks to never. Also, if anyone can tell me what method bupa use to detect it. Urine or hair sample?
One thing is for sure though, if I do get the job, random tests are carried out periodically, I won't be touching it again.

Moved to addiction forum, as this posts is not regarding medical marijuana
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What is bupa?

I believe the time frame is 6 weeks for urine/blood tests.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Experienced User
In your case I would say no more than 2 weeks. However if they are performing a hair test, then it probably won't be gone by the time you get tested. Hair tests however are expensive and I doubt they will use that method. Just exercise and drink plenty of fluids every day and it will help get rid of the THC.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I pulled the following information from a drug testing site:

"the vast majority of cases one should see no detectable levels of THC metabolite (under 50 ng/ml) after six weeks. Yet, the medical cannabis patient and the chronic cannabis user represent a different case. Years of regular cannabis use saturate fatty tissues with cannabinoids that are but slowly released depending upon metabolic rate, weight loss, physical activity, etc.

Many of our patients were referred by the criminal justice system. These patients faced legal sanction should they continue to test positive for illicit drugs. For this reason I directly supervised our drug testing program at the I-ADARP clinics (Interagency Drug Abuse Recovery Programs). We insisted that tests were truly random, that staff was adequately trained, that a chain of custody was established, that all tests were directly supervised by staff, and that a good diagnostic laboratory was utilized.

Our initial screens were immunoassay providing a qualitative result. All positives at our clinics were then retested by GC/MS both to confirm results and to provide a quantitative measure. It is from the review of thousands of these tests that I can state that long term regular users of large amounts of cannabis can easily test positive at a level of 25-50 ng/ml for 6-12 weeks."

Hope this is helpful to you.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Experienced User
Something that I hear cleans your system out is to take niacin pills. You can get them at the drug store as niacin is a simple vitamin. Take a couple, but drink lots and lots of water afterwards because after taking niacin you will feel kind of dried out and hot, its hard to explain...but stay hydrated! Every day you should take 3 or 4 niacin pills, take them all at the same time. It can make you uncomfortable, but when it comes to getting tested, its worth the effort. Also i think since you are not a regular user that it will clear out quicker than those who are regular smokers.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....