Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Pro-abortions Arguments Vs. the Facts. (Page 1)

MYTHS ABOUT ABORTION



Myth 1. It's "my body".
Busted 1. No it's not. It is a foundational genetic fact that your body has your DNA, your fetus' DNA is different.

Myth 2. The fetus is a parasite.
Busted 2. A parasite, by biological definition, must be a different species. No thinking person would consider apples as parasites of an apple tree. (However a worm in the apple is indeed a parasite). The biological defintion of parasite can be found at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/parasit.. . . Some committed abortion supporters cling to the etymological definition of "one who is sustained by another without benefit to the host". Taken in that sense, a 6 month old baby is as much of a parasite as a fetus. Only the most despicable monsters in world history killed the very young.

Myth 3. You can't legislate women from getting abortions by making abortions illegal.
Busted 3. Driving while intoxicated is also illegal, but thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers every year - only an imbecile would suggest that we legalize driving drunk because people "will do it anyhow".

Myth 4. You can't tell a person what to do with their body.
Busted 4. Wrong. There are many laws regarding public health and decency (Ex. you can't ride the city bus while in the nude.)

Myth 5. Fetuses aren't human.
Busted 5. 46 human chromosomes couldn't possibly be anything else. Tyrants and slavers throughout history always rationalized their crimes by denying the humanity of their victims. Radical supporters of abortion point out that on rare occasions terrible genetic diseases like Turner's Syndrome cause people to be born with 45, 47 or 48 chromosomes and that these people are "not human". While these genetic diseases have pronounced physical and mental manifestations, they do not change the species of the affected person.

Myth 6. The fetus cannot survive on its own.
Busted 6. Neither can infants - a six month old infant would quickly die left to its own abilities. Again, only history's worst monsters killed infants.


Myth 7. Many Christians get abortions.
Busted 7. Many Christians owned slaves - didn't make it right.

Myth 8. Making abortion illegal would force women who were raped or pregnant through incest or whose health was threatened to give birth.
Busted 8. Before Roe v Wade many states allowed for court ordered abortions for this very specific set of circumstances. A system for quick and condfidential judicial review for terminating these troubled pregancies would ensure the taking of human life has its day in court.

Myth 9. Human eggs and sperm are alive. Menstration and masturbation are the same as abortion.
Busted 9. So are the cells of the lining of our mouth - but like the egg or sperm, they independently could never be the start of a new human being.

Myth 10. The fetus isn't human because it isn't sentient.
Busted 10. Neither are people who are unconscious, and no one would suggest killing a person because they are unconscious is legal.

Myth 11. If you don't like abortions, don't have one!
Busted 11. If you don't like slavery, don't own one! Didn't work in 1865 - the abortion version won't work today.

Myth 12. If abortion is made illegal, dangerous "back alley" abortions will thrive.
Busted 12. The availability and efficacy of modern contraceptives can make unwanted pregnancies as likely as winning the lottery.

Myth 13. You can't support the death penalty and be pro-life.
Busted 13. Any unborn person convicted of a capital crime should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper milletics
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Pro-abortions Arguments Vs. the Facts.
milletics wrote:
Myth 1. It's "my body".
Busted 1. No it's not. It is a foundational genetic fact that your body has your DNA, your fetus' DNA is different.


.The z/e/f still requires your body to develop and grow. A woman must sacrifice her body for a number of months to sustain this growth. That is what pro-choice means when they say "it is my body". We believe a woman should have the right to choose what she does with her own body. If she chooses to sustain a pregnancy, she should do it. If she chooses not to, she shouldn't have to.

Quote:
Myth 2. The fetus is a parasite.
Busted 2. A parasite, by biological definition, must be a different species. No thinking person would consider apples as parasites of an apple tree. (However a worm in the apple is indeed a parasite). The biological defintion of parasite can be found at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/parasit.. . . Some committed abortion supporters cling to the etymological definition of "one who is sustained by another without benefit to the host". Taken in that sense, a 6 month old baby is as much of a parasite as a fetus. Only the most despicable monsters in world history killed the very young.


.I'll only address the bold quote, as .Eiri has already argued the different-species point with you. A 6 month old baby does not require his/her mother for oxygen. A 6 month old baby does not require only his/her mother for nutrients - anyone is capable of feeding the baby a bottle and caring for it. This is not true with pregnancy, however. A 6 month old baby is not a parasite in any respect. He/she is simply lacking the means to care for him/herself because of age. To compare this state with parasitism is, at best, a leap.

Quote:
Myth 3. You can't legislate women from getting abortions by making abortions illegal.
Busted 3. Driving while intoxicated is also illegal, but thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers every year - only an imbecile would suggest that we legalize driving drunk because people "will do it anyhow".


.Driving while intoxicated poses a danger to the public. The driver could hit a school bus, a bus stop, a police cruiser, or an old couple - not to mention the danger he/she poses him/herself. This has nothing to do with abortion, however, where the ending of a pregnancy affects the woman and possibly her family. Again, the comparison is a leap.

Quote:
Myth 4. You can't tell a person what to do with their body.
Busted 4. Wrong. There are many laws regarding public health and decency (Ex. you can't ride the city bus while in the nude.)


.Please stop comparing things that have nothing to do with each other. Abortion has nothing to do with public health and decency. It's everything to do with her body and her choice about what happens to it. To force a woman to sacrifice her body against her will to sustain a pregnancy would be to turn her into an incubator. It would be the government telling us that they know better for us than we do. No one should be forced to undertake a pregnancy and the dangers of labor and birth against their will. Therefore, you cannot force a woman to sustain a pregnancy.

Quote:
Myth 5. Fetuses aren't human.
Busted 5. 46 human chromosomes couldn't possibly be anything else. Tyrants and slavers throughout history always rationalized their crimes by denying the humanity of their victims. Radical supporters of abortion point out that on rare occasions terrible genetic diseases like Turner's Syndrome cause people to be born with 45, 47 or 48 chromosomes and that these people are "not human". While these genetic diseases have pronounced physical and mental manifestations, they do not change the species of the affected person.


.You will not see anyone here claim that a z/e/f is not human. That is not in question. Because what are we birthing, puppies? What is in question is if the z/e/f is a human being. Please review your information and respond to actual claims.

Quote:
Myth 6. The fetus cannot survive on its own.
Busted 6. Neither can infants - a six month old infant would quickly die left to its own abilities. Again, only history's worst monsters killed infants.


.I've addressed this already, but .I'll quickly review. The z/e/f cannot survive outside its mother's body up until a certain point. A 6 month old baby can be cared for by any person. You will not find anyone pro-infanticide here. You are, once again, reaching.


Quote:
Myth 7. Many Christians get abortions.
Busted 7. Many Christians owned slaves - didn't make it right.


.Again with comparing things that have nothing to do with each other.

Quote:
Myth 8. Making abortion illegal would force women who were raped or pregnant through incest or whose health was threatened to give birth.
Busted 8. Before Roe v Wade many states allowed for court ordered abortions for this very specific set of circumstances. A system for quick and condfidential judicial review for terminating these troubled pregancies would ensure the taking of human life has its day in court.


.So insted of having the right to go to a clinic and quietly end their abortion peacefully, you would have these women further victimize themselves by throwing themselves upon the mercy of a court and praying that they get a ruling in their favor? How disgusting.

Quote:
Myth 9. Human eggs and sperm are alive. Menstration and masturbation are the same as abortion.
Busted 9. So are the cells of the lining of our mouth - but like the egg or sperm, they independently could never be the start of a new human being.


.I've never once heard anyone claim that menstration is the same as abortion. I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I've certainly never heard the debators here make that claim.

Quote:
Myth 10. The fetus isn't human because it isn't sentient.
Busted 10. Neither are people who are unconscious, and no one would suggest killing a person because they are unconscious is legal.


.Again, pro-choice never said z/e/f's are not human. They aren't human beings. Unconcious people are born and are recognized as citizens of their countries, therefore enjoy the rights a priviledges as everyone else. Z/e/f are not recognized citizens. Once again you compare things that have nothing to do with each other.

Quote:
Myth 11. If you don't like abortions, don't have one!
Busted 11. If you don't like slavery, don't own one! Didn't work in 1865 - the abortion version won't work today.


.Slavery forced borne persons to do things against their will. Abortion laws force borne persons to do things against their will. Does that sound familiar? Wow, see how easy it is to twist things around and make your point look good?

Now .I'll address your actual point. Slavery affected other people and their rights. Abortion affects the woman, and possibly her family. A woman having an abortion has no effect on her next door neighbor, on the high school football team's win/lose record, on who is currently running for president. Her right to make a decision on what to do with her body has no impact on you, either. And, of course, her right to her body has nothing to do with slavery.

Quote:
Myth 12. If abortion is made illegal, dangerous "back alley" abortions will thrive.
Busted 12. The availability and efficacy of modern contraceptives can make unwanted pregnancies as likely as winning the lottery.
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/healt.. .


Perhaps you should review the effectiveness of modern contraception. You should also review the possible side effects. Furthermore, we have a poster here by the name of .Carifairy (pretty sure it's her, correct me if .I'm wrong someone) who has had multiple pregnancies despite proper contraception use.

And what happens to teenagers, by the way? Many of them have the ".I'm invincible, nothing will happen to me" mindset and don't bother with contraception at all. What happens to them when they become pregnant? Too bad, so sad, should have used a condom? Who do you really think would be risking their lives at these back-alley butchers? Take a good long think about that and get back to me.

Quote:
Myth 13. You can't support the death penalty and be pro-life.
Busted 13. Any unborn person convicted of a capital crime should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law


.This is just ridiculous. Pro-life is not necessarily just anti-abortion. Pro-life is pro-life. People who are truly pro-life are concerned about all living persons, not just z/e/f's. They are concerned with children in foster care and adoption agencies (remember those poor little babies you want to save from abortions? Some of them grow up to be lonely sad children in foster care). They are concerned with the homeless and battered women shelters. They are concerned with people on death row (*gasp!*).

If you're anti-abortion, just call yourself anti-abortion. Don't insult pro-life's views if you don't agree with them.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 5th, 2007
Experienced User
abortion affects the mother and maybe family???

So it doesnt affect the child growing inside.
I notice how you conveniently not mention that it ends a life.

Again as said before; you are arguing to keep killing a human life legal.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Pro-abortions Arguments Vs. the Facts.
milletics wrote:
MYTHS ABOUT ABORTION



Myth 1. It's "my body".
Busted 1. No it's not. It is a foundational genetic fact that your body has your DNA, your fetus' DNA is different.

Myth 2. The fetus is a parasite.
Busted 2. A parasite, by biological definition, must be a different species. No thinking person would consider apples as parasites of an apple tree. (However a worm in the apple is indeed a parasite). The biological defintion of parasite can be found at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/parasit.. . . Some committed abortion supporters cling to the etymological definition of "one who is sustained by another without benefit to the host". Taken in that sense, a 6 month old baby is as much of a parasite as a fetus. Only the most despicable monsters in world history killed the very young.

Myth 3. You can't legislate women from getting abortions by making abortions illegal.
Busted 3. Driving while intoxicated is also illegal, but thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers every year - only an imbecile would suggest that we legalize driving drunk because people "will do it anyhow".

Myth 4. You can't tell a person what to do with their body.
Busted 4. Wrong. There are many laws regarding public health and decency (Ex. you can't ride the city bus while in the nude.)

Myth 5. Fetuses aren't human.
Busted 5. 46 human chromosomes couldn't possibly be anything else. Tyrants and slavers throughout history always rationalized their crimes by denying the humanity of their victims. Radical supporters of abortion point out that on rare occasions terrible genetic diseases like Turner's Syndrome cause people to be born with 45, 47 or 48 chromosomes and that these people are "not human". While these genetic diseases have pronounced physical and mental manifestations, they do not change the species of the affected person.

Myth 6. The fetus cannot survive on its own.
Busted 6. Neither can infants - a six month old infant would quickly die left to its own abilities. Again, only history's worst monsters killed infants.


Myth 7. Many Christians get abortions.
Busted 7. Many Christians owned slaves - didn't make it right.

Myth 8. Making abortion illegal would force women who were raped or pregnant through incest or whose health was threatened to give birth.
Busted 8. Before Roe v Wade many states allowed for court ordered abortions for this very specific set of circumstances. A system for quick and condfidential judicial review for terminating these troubled pregancies would ensure the taking of human life has its day in court.

Myth 9. Human eggs and sperm are alive. Menstration and masturbation are the same as abortion.
Busted 9. So are the cells of the lining of our mouth - but like the egg or sperm, they independently could never be the start of a new human being.

Myth 10. The fetus isn't human because it isn't sentient.
Busted 10. Neither are people who are unconscious, and no one would suggest killing a person because they are unconscious is legal.

Myth 11. If you don't like abortions, don't have one!
Busted 11. If you don't like slavery, don't own one! Didn't work in 1865 - the abortion version won't work today.

Myth 12. If abortion is made illegal, dangerous "back alley" abortions will thrive.
Busted 12. The availability and efficacy of modern contraceptives can make unwanted pregnancies as likely as winning the lottery.

Myth 13. You can't support the death penalty and be pro-life.
Busted 13. Any unborn person convicted of a capital crime should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law


Excellent!! I applaud you.. Very Happy Hands clapping smile on face.. Good one!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
milletics wrote:
abortion affects the mother and maybe family???

So it doesnt affect the child growing inside.
I notice how you conveniently not mention that it ends a life.

Again as said before; you are arguing to keep killing a human life legal.


yes, it ends a life. I don't deny that. I feel it's the woman's choice whether to continue a pregnancy or end it. I recognize that her having the ability to choose does not affect me. I simply want her to remain able to choose what's best for her and her situation. I don't pretend to know what's better for her, and I don't pretend to put more emphasis on the z/e/f than on her rights.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of abortion, and I don't believe I would ever have one myself, but I would never presume to tell another woman what to do with her own body. I am not pro-abortion - I am pro-choice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
milletics wrote:
myth 1. It's "my body".
Busted 1. No it's not. It is a foundational genetic fact that your body has your dna, your fetus' dna is different.


Yes it is my body, it is my body that is pregnant and will have to give birth. That is what is meant by 'it's my body'.

milletics wrote:
Myth 3. You can't legislate women from getting abortions by making abortions illegal.
Busted 3. Driving while intoxicated is also illegal, but thousands of people are killed by drunk drivers every year - only an imbecile would suggest that we legalize driving drunk because people "will do it anyhow".


It isn't just because women will do it anyhow. It is because they will die doing it. Anyone with real respect and/or gratitude for "precious life" would not want to see legislation that would mean more life lost.

milletics wrote:
Myth 4. You can't tell a person what to do with their body.
Busted 4. Wrong. There are many laws regarding public health and decency (ex. You can't ride the city bus while in the nude.)


There are also laws protecting personal autonomy, bodily rights, and privacy.

milletics wrote:
Myth 6. The fetus cannot survive on its own.
Busted 6. Neither can infants - a six month old infant would quickly die left to its own abilities. Again, only history's worst monsters killed infants.


Infants and fetuses aren't comparable in that respect. They are not dependent in the same way. Infants don't necessarily depend directly on a woman's body in the way a fetus does.

milletics wrote:
Myth 11. If you don't like abortions, don't have one!
Busted 11. If you don't like slavery, don't own one! Didn't work in 1865 - the abortion version won't work today.


You're still comparing caterpillars to butterflies. Fetuses are not people in the same respect that we are. Are you saying that you'd be upset by a miscarriage like you would be if a family member died?

milletics wrote:
Myth 13. You can't support the death penalty and be pro-life.
Busted 13. Any unborn person convicted of a capital crime should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law


That is an opinion, not a fact.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
point blak
the choice is up to the MOTHER of the child not anyone else


so who are any of us to say if its right or wrong?
its not our choice
its not our option
lets just leave it alone
reguardless of if its wrong or right
the person in the position gets to make the call : keep it or destroy it

its all a big fight for nothing
there are no facts and there are no myths because its an individual right that all people have as human beings and i sont think its up to any of us to decide if its allowd or not for them
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
None of these "myths" are reasons I am prochoice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Experienced User
the_girlfreind wrote:
point blak
the choice is up to the MOTHER of the child not anyone else


so who are any of us to say if its right or wrong?
its not our choice
its not our option
lets just leave it alone
reguardless of if its wrong or right
the person in the position gets to make the call : keep it or destroy it

its all a big fight for nothing
there are no facts and there are no myths because its an individual right that all people have as human beings and i sont think its up to any of us to decide if its allowd or not for them


pedophilia. who's to say its right or wrong. Oh you say it scars the child!
Here! Here!

Thats why its very dangerous to take God outta the government and out of your lives. There is no longer a moral authority.
Next will be euthanasia of the elderly.
Hitler did it.
Get some morals. our forefathers had them.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 4th, 2012
pro-choice
God has nothing to do with our morals. Being a Christian does not make you a better person than say an atheist. I am agnostic and I am Pro-choice and I have very set morals that have nothing to do with religion. My morals exceed those of my friends who are so called "Christians". If anything Religion has an unfaltering way of corrupting people and causing outbreaks of wars. If someone chooses to abort an unborn child it is not yours to judge that decision, only except the fact that have decided to do so.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
milletics wrote:
Get some morals. our forefathers had them.


Would these be the same forefathers who stole the native Americans' land and murdered them? Or perhaps the same forefathers who hanged people as witches because theydidn't quite 'fit in'? Surely you don't mean the forefathers who thought it perfectly acceptable to kidnap and enslave people because of their skin colour?

Yeah, our forefathers had great morals.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I cannot take anything a Creationist says seriously.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Birch wrote:
I cannot take anything a Creationist says seriously.


too bad.
you would learn alot. And possibly your clouded mind would be set free.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Jules wrote:
milletics wrote:
Get some morals. our forefathers had them.


Would these be the same forefathers who stole the native Americans' land and murdered them? Or perhaps the same forefathers who hanged people as witches because theydidn't quite 'fit in'? Surely you don't mean the forefathers who thought it perfectly acceptable to kidnap and enslave people because of their skin colour?

Yeah, our forefathers had great morals.


yes. our forefathers did. Our founding fathers did. What others may have done is not the fault of our founders
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Birch wrote:
I cannot take anything a Creationist says seriously.


And I cant take the words of a pro-abortionist seriously.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
milletics wrote:

And I cant take the words of a pro-abortionist seriously.


Yeah Birch is always trying to get people to have abortions. It's, like, good for your health or something Razz
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yes, let's please ignore all the facts and try to jam some of the irrefutable ones into religion's distorted, made-up view of society.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
milletics wrote:
Birch wrote:
I cannot take anything a Creationist says seriously.


too bad.
you would learn alot. And possibly your clouded mind would be set free.


You're right.

Alot.

Of nonsense.

Actually, all snideness aside, I do learn alot from people who believe as you do. For example, just how far into crazy someone can go, and still not be committed. How much the human mind can be brainwashed into believing fantastical things, yet when reality is smack in front of them they refuse to even listen.

milletics wrote:
And I cant take the words of a pro-abortionist seriously.


Cool.

*Twiddles thumbs*

Um, what is that, anyways?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Birch wrote:

milletics wrote:
And I cant take the words of a pro-abortionist seriously.


Cool.

*Twiddles thumbs*

Um, what is that, anyways?


I dunno, never heard of one...
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
Birch wrote:

milletics wrote:
And I cant take the words of a pro-abortionist seriously.


Cool.

*Twiddles thumbs*

Um, what is that, anyways?


I dunno, never heard of one...


Oh, yeah, *smacks head*, he must be talking about the overall wearing feminists who walk the streets passing out coathangers and literature about the evils of child rearing.

Gosh, what was I thinking??
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Lol. Gee, I've never seen any of them before... I sure hope my Oby-Gyn's office isn't patrolled when I go Friday by pro-lifers... I'm in Florida, so you never know. It's darned conservative down here. I don't think the place I go to even does abortions at all, but they DO sell birth control, and as Guest has told us, all birth control is eeeevil.
|
Did you find this post helpful?