Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Son (18 Mo) Pulling / tugging At Throat For 3 Mo Now

As you can see in the subject line, he is tugging, pulling and poking his throat area near adam's apple. This has been going on for some time now. I first thought it was due to a cold, then due to habit from earlier. Now I realize that something in the throat is bothering him.

The Peditrician has looked at throat, ears, mouth and felt glands, neck from outside etc. he has asked that I use a topical cream, to see if it is a skin irritaion that can be eliminated. I do not think this is a skin (external) issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does this sound familiar at all?

Thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 27th, 2012

hi michellemcd2003,

I'm sorry to hear about your son, it's a tragic situation to have a young child experience such a dibilitationg and obscure issue. I pray and hope he's well now, or at least has made the condition manageable--and i sympathize with you for what a frightful situation you had to handle.

Soooo although i'm older (25), I have the same problem, exactly. I can't stop and it's driving me mad. i've been to so many doctors/specialists and i've gotten so many throwaway diagnoses (GERD, Salivary Gland Abscess, thrush, etc.) but If it were any of these disorders, i could handle it without spending thousands upon thousands in medical bills. Now, granted i'm far from your son's age, if there's any chance you found some answers and happen to catch my post here, it would thrill me to hear from you.

I suppose my greatest anxiety at the moment is that you'll reply back saying "it's just something babys do." ....which would just make us both embarrassed (mainly me, hence my age)

Respond if you read this, please, and if not, no worries. I've just been desperate to find some sort of relief from the nonexistent yet nonetheless maddening rock in my throat.

Peace, love, hope,
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
I would suggest thyroid scan and ENT consultation to sort it out. Give him pain killer like ibruphen.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.