Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

STDs and privacy : scrotum pain and blood clots

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I'm fairly sure that I have been infected with a sexually transmitted dissease (genital herpes) - since I have all the common symptons. I have lived with the condition for a few years and am afraid to go to the doctor to get tested for possible other STD's. The main cause of not going to the doctor is embarassment. I am ready to go after some answers to the below questions.

I have recently been experiencing slight pain in the scrotum and blood clots on the scrotum and some blood clots that are not on the scrotum but visible through the scrotum sack. What are these a sign of? Another possible STD, herpes or something unrelated?

In addition, what privacy is available to me when I go to my doctor. Besides the doctor knowing of my condition, who else has access to the test results and the medication that is prescribed by my doctor to me? For example, does the company I work for have access to the listing of prescriptions that I get (since they pay for my medical coverage)?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A3098
I don't understand your description of the “blood clots” ON and IN the scrotum. How can you be sure that those lesions are blood clots? Testicular pain can be symptom of some STD but blood clots are not sign of any STD. You should visit your GP and a urologist, if necessary, to identify the object(s) in the scrotum. Herpes genitalis manifest with skin lesions that transform themselves over 4 stadiums: erythema, blister, erosion and crust.

You'll have to ask the administrative assistants or the GP her/himself about who can have access to your medical file. Every country differs as to laws about medical disclosure. You can also contact your insurance provider to follow up on this question and to request a privacy disclosure statement.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.