Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Debate Forum

Kids Cleaning Public School Toilets???? (Page 1)

I am here in Japan where the culture is to let elementrary, junior, senior high school kids clean the toilets in their schools.

Me and my wife are having a debate. She thinks the kids can take the proper percautions to prevent from catching the many germs and diseases that can be found in a public school.

I on the other hand think a professional cleaner, of course an adult(paid proper wages), should be the one cleaning public school toilets. I do not see school toilets as a hot bed of diseases that my wife is accusing me of, but I do see it as a needless danger.

I would love for people to post their opinions on the subject. Is it ok to let children to clean toilets? Why or why not??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 30th, 2007
Experienced User
NO
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Japanese Thinking
In Japan, they believe that making the students clean their own toilets teaches them a thing or two about real world struggle, as wwell as good bathroom ediquette. For example, they do not want to make the bathroom messy because they know that they themselves will be cleaning it up, and do not want to make it harder on themselves. I think this is a good idea, because it teaches students early on how to work and clean up after themselves before they learn at home.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
Re: Japanese Thinking
nvrgv^ wrote:
In Japan, they believe that making the students clean their own toilets teaches them a thing or two about real world struggle, as wwell as good bathroom ediquette. For example, they do not want to make the bathroom messy because they know that they themselves will be cleaning it up, and do not want to make it harder on themselves. I think this is a good idea, because it teaches students early on how to work and clean up after themselves before they learn at home.

you know, i've been to the elementary school where my mom teaches quite a few times and have used the washrooms there and they are always disgusting. i have to agree with you that if the kids themselves had to participate in the cleanup of their bathrooms maybe they wouldn't leave them in such a state. i have seen some programs on tv and have talked to people who have travelled to japan to teach and such and they tell me there is such a difference in how kids are taught to think of the group first and the individual second. it's such an alien concept here in north america to put others before yourself and i think we could use a little more of that here. i guess it depends on if it's coming at the expense of their studies or not. if it is teaching them a valuable lesson and life skill i don't see it being harmful as long as their health is being taken into account.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Japanese Thinking
kaerbear wrote:
nvrgv^ wrote:

you know, i've been to the elementary school where my mom teaches quite a few times and have used the washrooms there and they are always disgusting. i have to agree with you that if the kids themselves had to participate in the cleanup of their bathrooms maybe they wouldn't leave them in such a state. i have seen some programs on tv and have talked to people who have travelled to japan to teach and such and they tell me there is such a difference in how kids are taught to think of the group first and the individual second. it's such an alien concept here in north america to put others before yourself and i think we could use a little more of that here. i guess it depends on if it's coming at the expense of their studies or not. if it is teaching them a valuable lesson and life skill i don't see it being harmful as long as their health is being taken into account.
I agree and I think it should extend to other areas as well.

Once, it seems like forever, it was the day before the last day of school and some idiots thought it would be funny to throw all of their unused notebook paper torn up all over the floor after the bell rang. The very next morning we returned to school for the last day and the paper was still there all over the floor and down every hallway. We were immediately herded into our homeroom classes, each given a trash bag, and told to clean our school. A lot of people grumbled, especially those who had done it, that we had paid janatorial staff and therefore shouldn't have to do it but it was a very valuable lesson, nonetheless. I certainly agree that children should be taught to respect their schools and their surroundings and one of the ways to do it is to have them help with the cleaning and maintanence of it.
Peace,
Jenn
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
yeah thats just messed up
there kids? what the heck? you know how sick a child could get from something like that? how many STD's and such could be spread?

ive never herd of this before
but tahst sick and a horrible thing to have a child do
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
When .I first read the topic, .I thought no freakin way, that is awful. Now that .I have read the reasoning, .I almost think it makes sense in some sick kind of way. If all the kids do it, than all the kids respect the bathroom, so the bathrooms are fairly clean.
Here in the states restrooms are filthy because all of us think, "well, some sucker gets paid to clean it up, so why bother keeping it clean".

I wouldn't allow my kids to do it unless they had been educated on universal precautions which includes protecting your self from blood and airborne pathogens.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
like i said, i've seen a few tv shows about schools in japan and you always see them wearing gloves and masks so i'm sure they would be doing that to clean. i seriously doubt they would get an std from a bathroom unless they were like, licking the toilets clean lol. ew. germs usually don't live that long on dry surfaces and they must have bleach and other cleaning agents there that would kill any other ones. i would just hope that they wear masks and gloves to protect their airways and skin from the chemicals.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i'll make my child clean her bathroom at home..no need for her to do it at school too.
id rather have her focus on her education while at school.
its a parents job to teach a child to respect their surroundings.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Mommy35 wrote:
When .I first read the topic, .I thought no freakin way, that is awful. Now that .I have read the reasoning, .I almost think it makes sense in some sick kind of way. If all the kids do it, than all the kids respect the bathroom, so the bathrooms are fairly clean.
Here in the states restrooms are filthy because all of us think, "well, some sucker gets paid to clean it up, so why bother keeping it clean".

I wouldn't allow my kids to do it unless they had been educated on universal precautions which includes protecting your self from blood and airborne pathogens.

oh wow i never thought of it like taht
i guess when you think of it like taht it might be ok to some degree
howver i think that there are way to many diseases to be worrying about the respect for a lean bathroom
wouldnt you be terrified that your kid would get sick?
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
there kids? what the heck? you know how sick a child could get from something like that? how many STD's and such could be spread?

Um... I really, really hope elementary school kids don't have stds...

How in the world do you survive in the real world? Aren't you the one who thought a virgin from the women's forums had herpes from a toilet seat?

Are you aware that you can't get aids by kidding someone who has aids? You can't get it by sharing a glass of water with them. I bet you thought ya could.

If a child is properly taught how to clean, then he's not going to get sick because it will be clean.... That's the whole point!!! Unclean american bathrooms are far more disease-ridden than japanese ones cleaned by the students.

I don't think it's sick at all. Students are also assigned to teams to clean up the classrooms after school. I bet american kids wouldn't be such slobs in school if they had to clean up after themselves.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:

How in the world do you survive in the real world? Aren't you the one who thought a virgin from the women's forums had herpes from a toilet seat?

Are you aware that you can't get aids by kidding someone who has aids? You can't get it by sharing a glass of water with them. I bet you thought ya could.

If a child is properly taught how to clean, then he's not going to get sick because it will be clean.... That's the whole point!!! Unclean american bathrooms are far more disease-ridden than japanese ones cleaned by the students.

I don't think it's sick at all. Students are also assigned to teams to clean up the classrooms after school. I bet american kids wouldn't be such slobs in school if they had to clean up after themselves.

wow dude do you have nothing better to do than harass people?
the post says HIGH SCHOOL AND SENIOR STUDENTS
yeah...read before you start again...
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
from what i know of japan, which i admit, is limited, things are just done in groups a lot more often than they are here. because they have such a dense population people just naturally do things in public a lot more than they do in north america. they don't have as much personal space there so working together and learning together with your peers and in public is just more common there. from what i've been told anyway. so i think making those things part of their education is just a natural extension of that. like i said, it would never go down here in north america unless the kid was in a bootcamp or something lol.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
kaerbear wrote:
from what i know of japan, which i admit, is limited, things are just done in groups a lot more often than they are here. because they have such a dense population people just naturally do things in public a lot more than they do in north america. they don't have as much personal space there so working together and learning together with your peers and in public is just more common there. from what i've been told anyway. so i think making those things part of their education is just a natural extension of that. like i said, it would never go down here in north america unless the kid was in a bootcamp or something lol.

agreed :]
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:

First, I'm a female. secondly, don't use caps. it's considered "yelling", and thankfully the forum edits it in visible posts. I can still see it when I quote you though, and it's disrespectful. I don't do it.

Thirdly, here's the original post.

Quote:
I am here in japan where the culture is to let elementrary, junior, senior high school kids clean the toilets in their schools.

Even moreso... middle school starts with 6th grade, and kids are only around 10 years old then! They're only around 12-13 in 8th grade!! I highly doubt any child of that age is going to have an std.

Yeah, why don't you read?
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:
Eiri wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:

First, I'm a female. secondly, don't use caps. it's considered "yelling", and thankfully the forum edits it in visible posts. I can still see it when I quote you though, and it's disrespectful. I don't do it.

Thirdly, here's the original post.

Quote:
I am here in japan where the culture is to let elementrary, junior, senior high school kids clean the toilets in their schools.

Even moreso... middle school starts with 6th grade, and kids are only around 10 years old then! They're only around 12-13 in 8th grade!! I highly doubt any child of that age is going to have an std.

Yeah, why don't you read?

ok NOT DUDE it also says junior and senior students
so how do you know i wanst implying any of those? you assumed.
get over yourself and quit argueing with people

and how about you just leave my posts alone
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Why should I? If you don't want to face the facts on a public forum, don't post here.

You were only referencing the older grades of... possibly 8th grade and up? Why are you ignoring all of the other grades? There's seven more. I guess they don't count.

I think you have a problem with germs. I don't mean that in a mean way; I honestly think you are afraid of germs everywhere. I don't remember the name of the condition, and it's not germophobia lol.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
Why should I? If you don't want to face the facts on a public forum, don't post here.

You were only referencing the older grades of... possibly 8th grade and up? Why are you ignoring all of the other grades? There's seven more. I guess they don't count.

I think you have a problem with germs. I don't mean that in a mean way; I honestly think you are afraid of germs everywhere. I don't remember the name of the condition, and it's not germophobia lol.

actually lol i do over sanitize a bit
i bleached the whole house because the dog threw up and i got scared that the infection would spread
and since ive been pregnant ive gotten even worse

but anyways
i wasnt referenceing to the lower grade school children. i just think theres less spread of disese's with 7 yr olds then 17 yr olds
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2007
vanessalouanne wrote:
i'll make my child clean her bathroom at home..no need for her to do it at school too.

I agree.
My child is at school to get an education not become a cleaner. I wouldnt want my child cleaning public bathrooms. Confused
|

replied July 3rd, 2007
sick_mama17 wrote:
vanessalouanne wrote:

I agree.
My child is at school to get an education not become a cleaner. I wouldnt want my child cleaning public bathrooms. Confused
Are the two of you assuming that these children in Japan, where educational standards, test scores, and knowledge are all higher, are spending large amounts of time helping to keep their school's clean or more time cleaning than learning?

And your children, right now, do not spend all of their time, energy, or concentration solely on learning. There are break times that they spend doing other things and activities.

If proper safety precautions are taken, gloves and masks, then what is the harm in taking a few minutes to clean a facility they all use? In what other ways do you suggest that respect for the facility be fostered?

I don't think it's entirely unrelated that Japan also has lower incidences of property destruction and grafitti.
|
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....