should we have to practice what we preach as parents?
Do you think we have the right to tell our children that they can do this but they cannot do that.

for example.
can we tell our kids not to smoke and then smoke ourselves?
can we tell them not to cuss and then use foul language?
eating habits?
ethics?

do we have to change our lifestyle completely when having children. do you consider is hypocritical to expect something from your children that you wouldn't expect to do for yourself?
or is it your right as an adult?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I definitely think parents should alter their lifestyle. You're supposed to set a good example as an adult.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
to what extent?

you tell your child they cannot have a sugary snack before dinner.. does this mean you cant have one either?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Well, no one should have that before dinner.

I think the key is to teach them moderation when it comes to things like that. My husband and I don't buy anything sugary, really, except about once a month. It doesn't matter so much about when they can have it and when they can't, it's just about teaching them that it's a treat, meaning you don't get to have it all the time. And parents should definitely behave the same way. Not just because of parenting though, but because if they don't it's bad for them.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
i'm going to do my best to be a good example. i've tried my hardest not to swear or talk negatively to myself while i'm pregnant. drinking and drugs and smoking aren't an issue for me but i think body image has always been a hard thing. i'm going to do my best to be in good health and eat healthy. i don't want my child to have issues with food or weight or self image like i do. also, i'm going to do my best to keep my temper, which i do most of the time but not always. kid's are like little sponges and they learn non-stop, so you really have to watch yourself around them. they can pick up on things you say or do that you weren't even aware of yourself.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
kaerbear wrote:
i'm going to do my best to be a good example. i've tried my hardest not to swear or talk negatively to myself while i'm pregnant. drinking and drugs and smoking aren't an issue for me but i think body image has always been a hard thing. i'm going to do my best to be in good health and eat healthy. i don't want my child to have issues with food or weight or self image like i do. also, i'm going to do my best to keep my temper, which i do most of the time but not always. kid's are like little sponges and they learn non-stop, so you really have to watch yourself around them. they can pick up on things you say or do that you weren't even aware of yourself.

so true! i think this is something im going to have a very hard time with. i know i want to promote a good healthy body image to my daughter but it is something that i have always had poor of. and i can see that is it a learned behavior because it is an issue my mother has.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....