User Profile
do you think it's ok to get your babies ears pierced and why?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
yes i do

why? because it's cute and if it hurts it's just a little bit and they're fine in the next 2 minutes so it's not a huge deal.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think it's ok to do, as long as you (the parent) make sure they are taken care of, cleaned and turned as recommended.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i'm asking because i've heard alot of people say it's wrong as you should let your child decide.

personally- i got my daughters ears done when she was 8 months old but she fiddled with them so much that i had to get them removed. i now will not get them repierced until she is old enough to ask me to have them done....

part of me does think she'd look gorgeous in some gold creoles though Embarassed
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well I just got .Kaylee's ears pierced so of course .I'm going to say there is nothing wrong with it! She cried for about 15-20 seconds then she was over it as if nothing happened! It's a different story though if the parent has no intention on cleaning them & taking care of them properly!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I was five or six when my mom first tried to get my ears pierced. I don't remember if it was my choice, but I totally wanted to anyway. Unfortunately, one of the stems was bent, and it didn't go through and just hurt a lot. Years later when I was about eight or ten, we tried again and it went fine Smile

No, for some reason pain in my youth has not traumatized me... I know most people would have been terrified to have their ears pierced after the experience I had. Nope. I went on to have a third hole added. I'd gt more now, c'ept I'm poor.

Hm... I wasn't getting my lip pierced because my fiancee's last girlfriend had gotten it done and he didn't like it or something like that... I may get that one now that I'm single! I think a ring in the middle of the bottom lip is sexy as heck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ok, i may be reaching here, but...

isn't piercing your baby's ears along the same lines* as circumsizing? you're taking it upon yourself to punch holes in their ears. what if they don't want them when they're older?

*along the same lines, not the same.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
well they can always take the ear rings out and close the hole up lol but you can't grow that foreskin back! Laughing
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
IHeartMyBostonTerrier wrote:
ok, i may be reaching here, but...

isn't piercing your baby's ears along the same lines* as circumsizing? you're taking it upon yourself to punch holes in their ears. what if they don't want them when they're older?

*along the same lines, not the same.


You are reaching.

Poking little holes in your ears is far different than removing your clitoral hood (female circumcision) which is directly equivalent to male circumcision. You do not lose sensation from earrings. Secondly, if you ever feel like it, you can take out the earrings. You can't truly put back the foreskin or clitoral hood.

If the child doesn't want them when they are older, they just take them out, simple as that...

I don't think it should necessarily be done to little babies, but it also is not as severe a form of disfigurement as circumcision.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
they can choose not to wear earrings but the holes will not close up.

and i said it was along the same lines and it is. you're altering your child's body for cosmetic purposes.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Experienced User
There are a few reasons I wouldn't pierce a baby's ears, and they're reason enough for me.

1) They're too young to understand why they're in pain, they only know they're in pain. It would be much more bearable for them if they understand what is going on and if they have consented to getting their ears pierced knowing it will hurt.

2) Their earlobes are so small at that age it is difficult for the piercer to properly center the piercing and as the baby's earlobes grow to adult size there is no guarantee that they will stay centered. Better to wait until earlobes are mostly done growing.

I doubt a proper piercing/tattoo shop would agree to pierce a baby's ears anyways.... which is the only place they will do it properly - with a needle, not with a piercing gun which isn't sterile and launches a blunt object (the jewellery) through the earlobe.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
hmm hearing that your daughter played with them at 8 months i think i will get them done sooner with my daughter so she firstly, does not remember and secondly, it use to them so she doesnt feel the need to play with them.
her daddy really wants them done and so does her nana. i think they look adorable and shell have them done but there is no way that i want to be there when they do them.. im too much of a wuss. they can do them at the same exact time so there is really very little to no pain at all, similar to getting a shot. i agree with everyone else, it is just vital that you take care of them and clean them.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Supporter
Technically, I should only have had my ears pierced as of two weeks ago, since my mom said I couldn't get them done until I was sixteen. But she caved when I was seven and I got them done as my seventh birthday gift.
I personally will not be piercing my infant's ears if I have a daughter. I think she should not have them done until she is old enough to take care of them herself (with a little help and gentle prodding from mom, of course). I remember that my mom made a day out of it for me; it was just me and her at the mall, and it was special. It's something I'll always remember.

Just to put the thought out there: Boys are circumsized because the have foreskin, and females do not. It is a religious, medical, and/or cosmetic choice.
Now, both boys and girls have earlobes. Why don't we start piercing the ears of our sons, too?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
tdr wrote:
I remember that my mom made a day out of it for me; it was just me and her at the mall, and it was special. It's something I'll always remember.


i went with my dad and i remember every little detail about it (we saw sleeping beauty, i got my ears pierced, we had rainbow sherbert) and that was over 22 years ago.

if i have a daughter and she wants her ears done i'll have her dad take her so they can have a special father/daughter day like the one i remember so fondly.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i think it looks kind of trashy on boys *dont hate me* it's just me lol i was at mcdonalds and saw a little boy, couldn't have been over 5, wearing gold hoops in his ears, and a gold chain and a hat backwards with a pony tail. could you get anymore white trashy than that?
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
IHeartMyBostonTerrier wrote:
they can choose not to wear earrings but the holes will not close up.

and i said it was along the same lines and it is. you're altering your child's body for cosmetic purposes.


Actually on some people the holes do close up.

And it's along the same lines in the same way that a car makes you go places and so does a jet fighter Razz
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
tdr wrote:

Just to put the thought out there: Boys are circumsized because the have foreskin, and females do not. It is a religious, medical, and/or cosmetic choice.
Now, both boys and girls have earlobes. Why don't we start piercing the ears of our sons, too?


Actually, girls do have a kind of foreskin, called the clitoral hood. It serves the same function as the foreskin.

And personally... I don't see why we don't! I like earrings in boys, and if my son wanted them pierced I'd take him to the mall and get it done as a birthday present.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't see anything wrong with it. I personally will not pierce my baby's ears. I would be scared it would catch on their bedding, or their clothes, or whatever and rip their ear. I will wait until she's old enough to choose for herself.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Supporter
Eiri wrote:
tdr wrote:

Just to put the thought out there: Boys are circumsized because the have foreskin, and females do not. It is a religious, medical, and/or cosmetic choice.
Now, both boys and girls have earlobes. Why don't we start piercing the ears of our sons, too?


Actually, girls do have a kind of foreskin, called the clitoral hood. It serves the same function as the foreskin.

And personally... I don't see why we don't! I like earrings in boys, and if my son wanted them pierced I'd take him to the mall and get it done as a birthday present.


yes, i know that girls have a clitoral hood, but it's not recognized as a foreskin by most people. you don't have hospitals offering parents the option of having their newborn daughter's clitoral hood removed, now do you? (and I'm talking about the usa, not places where female circumcision is a cultural thing.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
tdr wrote:
Eiri wrote:
tdr wrote:

Just to put the thought out there: Boys are circumsized because the have foreskin, and females do not. It is a religious, medical, and/or cosmetic choice.
Now, both boys and girls have earlobes. Why don't we start piercing the ears of our sons, too?


Actually, girls do have a kind of foreskin, called the clitoral hood. It serves the same function as the foreskin.

And personally... I don't see why we don't! I like earrings in boys, and if my son wanted them pierced I'd take him to the mall and get it done as a birthday present.


yes, i know that girls have a clitoral hood, but it's not recognized as a foreskin by most people. you don't have hospitals offering parents the option of having their newborn daughter's clitoral hood removed, now do you? (and I'm talking about the usa, not places where female circumcision is a cultural thing.)


So, just because male circumcision is okay in the usa, and female circumcision isn't okay in the usa, that makes the clitoral hood not like a foreskin, and it makes piercing the baby's ears bad? Or something? I suppose your logic confounds me. What point are you trying to make?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....