User Profile
What are your feelings on circumcision?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i think it is a cruel and unnessecary act and i would never inflict it on my child. all the excuses of infection are just down to laziness .i.m.o if a man washes under his foreskin properly there is no reason for it to be more prone to infection.

from a sexual point of view i have been with both circumsised and uncut- i prefer uncut. the foreskin provides extra fricition during sex and is more lubricated. most circumsised men need extra lubrication.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i won't circumsize my son/s. you aren't a bad person if you get it done, i don't think that at all, but it's not something that i want.

my boyfriend is uncut and he's never had an infection, he's very very very clean.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
my husband insists on it.
i really couldnt care less but he is passionate that it should be done..
ive never been with someone who wasnt so i really dont know the difference, all i know is that almost every man i talk to is very passionate that their sons will have it done.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i left the decision up to my husband since he has a penis and i don't.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I also left the decision up to the baby's father. He's the expert in that area.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i guess it's more popular in the other places than the uk. my partner only had it done because his foreskin was tight and couldn't retract. it wasn;t even an issue for my husband as he is uncut
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My husband and I have never discussed this issue, and since we are having a girl there really is no need to now. But, if it was left up to me, I would not have it done. I have read up on how it is done and I think it is cruel, not to mention unnecessary most of the time. The only way I would ever consider it is if it was deemed medically necessary.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I believe it is a personal choice.

Working in healthcare, I have seen numerous older teens and middle aged men have circumcisions, and it is far more problematic than having it done as an infant.
Some wish that they could have had it done as a baby.

They can use anesthesia, even IV sedation and sedatives for the procedure, you just have to ask for what you want.

I will admit that I do not care one way or another, as far as sexual parnters, although my husband is circumcised.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
gabe is cut. chris & i talked about it, & he said it was important to him that .gabe was like him, & i really agreed. i think it's important for a boy to look like his dad in "that' area. little boys want to be just like their daddies, & .chris is cut.. i wouldn't want .gabe to think that he was weird or feel down about himself because his pee pee wasn't the same as daddy's. it's part of the culture, here, too. it may be medically unecessary, but it didn't seem to bother him one bit. he wasn't cranky, he didn't seem to be in any pain at all, & it healed completely after 3 days. i'm glad we had it done.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'd leave that decision up to .Shane like some of the other girls said. He has a penis, I don't.. I'm pretty sure .Shane would want his little boy to have it done though.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I would not circumsize my son. I equate it to genital mutilation that we have been socialized to find acceptable.

If my child wants to be circumsized, that is a decision left up to him to do when he is able to do so.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It seems it's more important for men than the women. I did not circumsize my son not because its cruel (which i do not think it is) but because it's not needed as once believed....but his father wanted to do it for the biblical aspect of it.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Experienced User
The official stance of The Canadian Pediatric Society is that they do not recommend therapudic (elective) circumcisions for babies. It is no longer covered by OHIP (our public/free-to-all health insurance). The circumcision rate is less than 14% in Canada. I, for one am thrilled that it isn't the norm.

Parents are not allowed to witness circumcisions done in hospitals... hmmm... wonder why?!?!? Evil or Very Mad

The foreskin is made of specialized tissue that is an integral part of sexual function. Studies have determined that it is the most sensitive part of the penis. The glans is meant to be an internal organ. Constant exposure and rubbing against clothing causes it to lose sexual sensitivity. Of course circumcized men are content because they don't know any different. Look for some accounts from men who were circumcized in adulthood and see how they describe the difference as "going from seeing in colour to seeing in black and white".

Ladies - can you imagine if your clitoral hood had been sliced off leaving your clitoris exposed?

People scoff and point fingers at countries where female circumcision is performed, then shrug at the idea of male circumcision. Just because it's been done in the past and is the social norm in some places, doesn't mean it's okay.

The worst reason people cite for mutilating their boy's genitals is "we wanted him to look like his daddy". Do you know what your mother's labia look like (or for men, your father's penis?)??? Didn't think so. Does it really matter if your genitals look different than you parent of the same gender? They're going to look different anyways!

Do the research before you make your decision.

I challenge you to watch a video of a circumcision (graphic).
http://www.intact.ca/video.html

http://www.circumcision.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision# The_procedures_of_circumcision
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Anne123 wrote:
The official stance of The Canadian Pediatric Society is that they do not recommend therapudic (elective) circumcisions for babies. It is no longer covered by OHIP (our public/free-to-all health insurance). The circumcision rate is less than 14% in Canada. I, for one am thrilled that it isn't the norm.

Parents are not allowed to witness circumcisions done in hospitals... hmmm... wonder why?!?!? Evil or Very Mad

The foreskin is made of specialized tissue that is an integral part of sexual function. Studies have determined that it is the most sensitive part of the penis. The glans is meant to be an internal organ. Constant exposure and rubbing against clothing causes it to lose sexual sensitivity. Of course circumcized men are content because they don't know any different. Look for some accounts from men who were circumcized in adulthood and see how they describe the difference as "going from seeing in colour to seeing in black and white".

Ladies - can you imagine if your clitoral hood had been sliced off leaving your clitoris exposed?

People scoff and point fingers at countries where female circumcision is performed, then shrug at the idea of male circumcision. Just because it's been done in the past and is the social norm in some places, doesn't mean it's okay.

The worst reason people cite for mutilating their boy's genitals is "we wanted him to look like his daddy". Do you know what your mother's labia look like (or for men, your father's penis?)??? Didn't think so. Does it really matter if your genitals look different than you parent of the same gender? They're going to look different anyways!

Do the research before you make your decision.

I challenge you to watch a video of a circumcision (graphic).
http://www.intact.ca/video.html

http://www.circumcision.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision# The_procedures_of_circumcision

good post!
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't think I'll have any of my sons circumcised, and I don't see myself marrying a person who's religious views make him want to circumcise his son either.
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i was given the option to be there while my son was circumsized.

i did my research.
& .my bofriend & i chose to have it done.

it is good to be informed on every aspect of the subject.

nobody is a bad parent or a bad person for having chose to have their son circumsized, or not circumsized, for that matter. it's a personal choice, & we all chose what we thought was best. nothing wrong in that.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Except that it is a violation of a child's right to keep the functional, sensitive, healthy and normal foreskin with many nerve fibres and nerve endings that child has been born with.
|

replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
my husband is circumsized and im pretty sure his sexual life is satisfying.
some of you say absolutely not... do you not think that the father has the right to also contribute in the decision making process?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
well of course he can, it's his child, too.

my boyfriend is uncut and i'm pretty sure he feels the same way about it as i do. i think they need to read about it and read what they have to do during the process though.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....