User Profile
Hi, for the past 2-3 days, I can only open my jaw about halfway. I've had TMJ for about 3 yrs and it has just gotten really bad within the past 6 months or so. My jaw has locked up before, but never longer than about an hour. This is pretty bad. My jaw movement is so restricted that I cannot even fit 2 fingers vertically between my teeth. I'm having a rough time eating. I have to get tiny bites on my fork and kind of shove them between my teeth. What do I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Ok
here is something that you arent gonna like too much but you need to do so that you dont lose muscle function. you need to widen your opening. you are gonna have to stretch it. help yourself with your fingers.(dont pull so hard that you are gonna tear something) just open as wide as you can and then help yourself open a little further. hold for 5 sec. you should do this 5 times a day 5 times each session. I know that its not fun----ive been doing it for 23 years. If it hurts too bad just take some ibuprophen with lots of water and food. the same goes for movement side to side and forward----another thing that you can do is to use ice and moist heat. it will help your muscles relax and it wont hurt as bad.

I answered your questions in another post by pm so you will get it there.just know that anytime you need me just email or pm me---anytime.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks! Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
no problem------Thats what im here for:)
|

replied June 30th, 2007
Thats such a scary sessation.
I am new to all these Jaw problems but I remember a few weeks ago I was trying to brush my teeth and i couldn't open my mouth very much, and I was scared to even try incase it got stuck, I wasn't sure what was scarier. it being stuck or the pain!
then it seemed to have settled down, I went and had something to eat, took my first bite and out come a huge crack following by another 2.
eeeww.. I just hate it.

my physio told me to just try and relax if ever my jaw does get stuck, maybe try some good cream and rub it into the joint area, it might help.
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
you should try dr.christopher brand joint and tissue cream. that stuff is awesome. i love it.
|
Tags: bites, TMJ, bad teeth
Quick Reply