User Profile
i think we should do a book thread. i love to read, i just don't do much of it and i have no idea how to find good books at the library.

i went to the library today to look for the books a piece of cake and the naked ape (both mentioned here) but they didn't have either one of them so instead i got.

the female brain
amandas wedding
women who love men who kill
and summer lovin

Laughing

what books do you suggest?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
The female brain one seems interesting. But I am also reading a book that has a lot to do with the brain, its called sex on the brain( i think I may have mentioned it here before).
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I wish I could read. wow...that sounds ignorant huh? lol!

I mean, I wish I had the *time* to read!! Between .oni, laundry, feeling sick, cleaning the house, and .oni(hahaha), I just can't do it.

As soon as my head hits the pillow, I pass out, so reading before bed is out.

I haven't read in soooooo long!!! SInce I was preggy with .oni. Crying or Very sad

Do parenting and baby magazines count? lol!

Sarah
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
lol, sarah! it's the same with me. all i have time to read are parenting magazines and entertainment weekly (and i can't even keep up with that one!). i keep them in the bathroom and read a page or two every time i'm in there, i call it "the library".

nick did buy me a book i'd mentioned a while back and i just don't have the time to get into it right now. it's call ".l.a.m.b. the gospel according to biff, christ's childhood pal".

if you're looking for recommendations, i love jodi picoult (especially keeping faith and second glance) and elinor lipman (my favorite is the inn at lake devine).

oh, billie letts is really good too. she wrote where the heart is, and her other two are wicked good too. i wish she'd write more.
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I read a lot. I'm mostly into classic literature - I love .F. Scott .Fitzgerald, .Lolita, Steppenwolf, Siddhartha... I love books by .Toni .Morrison (she wrote .Beloved), and .Frank .McCourt, who wrote .Angela's .Ashes. I got to meet him when he gave a reading at .Queens .College last year!
Terra, if you're looking for a good summer read, try .Summer .Sisters, by .Judy .Blume. It's one of her adult books, and it's a favorite of mine. Very Happy
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i *love* summer sisters! that's one i read over and over. i wish her other adult books were that good.
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I'm a dork but my favorite books are all the
Harry Potter books lol.
I am reading " The Secret Sister" right now.
I also really enjoy "The Breaker"
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Supporter
I am reading for the millionth time The Delaneys, The untamed years II santin Ice by Iris Johansen I would love to find the others in tha sereis any one heard of them??...
The shamrock trinity:
Rafe, the maverick
York,the renegade
Burke, the kingpin

The Delaneys of Killaroo:
Adelaide, the entrantress
Matilda, the adventuress
Sydney, the temptress
This fierce splendor

(these are what i am looking for tho)....
The Delaneys, The untamed YearsI:
Golden flames
Wild Silver
Copper Fire

The Delaneys, The Untamed YearsII:
Velvet Lighting
Satin Ice ( I have this one very good )
Silken thunder

anyone know how i can look these up to find?????
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
right now i'm rereading the outlander series by diana gabaldon. it's kind of like historical romance on steroids. but here's a list of my all time favorite books (it's pretty long because I read a lot, i might have left a few out too, there's just too many to remember them all)

krik? krak!
breath, eyes, memory
the farming of bones
white oleander
memoirs of a geisha
here on earth
one hundred years of solitude
midwives
she's come undone
girl with a pearl earring
wuthering heights
pride and prejudice
Harry Potter series
The Chronicles of Narnia
Lord of the Rings
Rhapsody series by Elizabeth Haydon
Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey
The door open to the fire
The painted bird
To kill a mockingbird
othello
the color purple
the grapes of wrath
watership down
clan of the cave bear series
Annie John
A small place
My sister's bones
love in the time of cholera
relato de un naufrago
anything amy tan
lord of the flies
as i lay dying
anything steinbeck
david copperfield
anything by alexandre dumas
the picture of dorian gray
|

User Profile
replied June 27th, 2007
Supporter
Okay so...I am going to restrain myself and list only things that I think of immediately:

The Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich
On the Street where you live by mary higgins clark
plain truth; vanishing acts; my sister's keeper by jodi picoult
carpe demon; california demon; demons are forever by julie kenner
To kill a mocking bird by harper lee
Wicked; SOn of a Witch by Gregory MAguire
girl with a pearl earring (can't remember the author!)
little women by louisa may alcott
blink by malcolm gladwell
i am the messenger by marcus czuzak (sp?)
Orchid Beach; Orchid Blues, Blood Orchid; Iron Orchid by Stuart Woods (the holly barker novels)
the Stone Barrington novels by stuart woods
some girl(s) by neil labute (it's a play, but it's dam* good)
whirligig (don't remember the author)
the secret life of bees (can't remember the author)
a child called it by dave pelzer
I know why the caged bird sings by maya angelou

And if you're looking for teenage trash that you can knock out in less than two hours per book, look in to the gossip girl series by cecily vonsomething, and the a-list series by [drawing a blank]
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...