Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Second Gout Attack (Page 1)

This is my 2nd gout attack and it has been 7 days since the first sign of pain. I went to doctors 3 days ago and they gave me a shot (for inflamation) and indocin?. My first gout attack did not last more than 5 days or so of major pain. As I said this is day 7 and I am in major pain how long can this last?

Also I am confused with diet. I cut our all pop but if you go online one place says eat this one page says dont eat this. Is there a definitive place that I can see what I should eat and what I should not eat?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile preventgout
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I am very sorry you are in pain. It seems this attack is particularly bad because you waited for too long (4~5 days) before the treatment. More info on what to do during the gout attack and gout diet can be found at icuredmygout.org . (Hope the link doesn't get deleted.)
|

replied June 29th, 2007
Thanks for the reply.

I got the gout attack on a Tuesday night and Wed-Sat I iced it and took Advil ate a ton of cherries and strawberries. Sat I finally went to doctors which he gave me a shot of Tramadol and indomethacin along with percacets. I think it's finally starting to get better but it's still swelled and still cant touch the joint area or walk on it. The thumping is not as constant or as bad as it was 3-4 days ago. I hope this means it's going away.

I know gout is the build of of uric acid that forms crystals in the joint. Do the crystals go away when gout attack is over or they somehow hide themselfs? I am a little confused on this.

One thing is for sure I am going to lose the 30 pounds I need to lose and start eating better. I pride myself on handling pain but I found myself close to tears at times. I try to explain to people what the pain is like I tell the it's like taking a sharp knife and jabbing it into the joint along with thumping and pounding and thats just laying down not even trying to walk.
|

replied July 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
Glad your gout attack is under control now. Be sure the attack is 100% gone before stopping the med. Otherwise it may come right back.

The crystals that cause gout are monosodium urate (MSU) which is the salt formed from uric acid and sodium. Unfortunately, MSU crystals will stay in the gouty joints forever. Lowering of the blood uric acid level to 5.5~6.0 mg/dl can reduce the number of crystals and lower the frequency of gout attacks.

Losing excess body weight can lower the blood uric acid level and the frequency of gout attacks. However, rapid weight loss can trigger gout attacks. It is safe to lose 0.5~1 pound a week.

Take care.
|

replied August 10th, 2007
Re: Second Gout Attack
ohthepain wrote:
This is my 2nd gout attack and it has been 7 days since the first sign of pain. I went to doctors 3 days ago and they gave me a shot (for inflamation) and indocin?. My first gout attack did not last more than 5 days or so of major pain. As I said this is day 7 and I am in major pain how long can this last?

Also I am confused with diet. I cut our all pop but if you go online one place says eat this one page says dont eat this. Is there a definitive place that I can see what I should eat and what I should not eat?

Hi,

I have been suffering from gout for 12 years and here has been my experience. The first attack will hurt, but be fairly mild. The subsequent attack will be debillitatingly painful.

As someone else mentioned, you need to start treating your attacks at the first sign of a flare. You will become more experienced and will be able to know when an attack is coming. I have had great success with sulindac. Once I feel a flare coming on, I take a sulindac immediately. I have some at home, in my desk, and in my car.

As far as what foods may trigger the attack, it is different for everyone. Get yourself a good foods to avoid list and avoid those foods. Remember this as well: if you are treated with allopurinol, it does not mean you can now indulge in "banned" foods.

Good luck,
Ray
|

replied August 15th, 2007
Me again Sad

It has now been 8 weeks and 1 day and the left big toe joint still has the pinch and gets swollen.

I been to the doctors 3 times now. I just finished my 3rd dose of indocin and he gave me a dose of steriods like you would take for poisin. And now I am on Allopurinol.

I have finsihed the indocin and steriods and just like before the swelling and pinch go away but not completely. My question is I been taking the Allopurinol now for 2 weeks should the Allopurinol be working by now?

I been icing my foot 3 times a day in a big bucket of ice water. I find doing that is easier than trying to balance an ice pack on toe joint and underneath the joint. I am also staying away from red meats, shell fish, and organ meats.

Has anyone heard or battled gout as long as I have? Just seems it does not want to go away and it's frustrating when I am doing everything I can to get better. I stay off my feet as much as I can my job is a sit down job (thankfully).

I have heard in some cases the crystals are so built up in a joint that surgery to grind them out is nessasary. I hope this is not my case, but I can't seem to find anyone who has battled gout attack for 8 weeks Sad
|

Experienced User
i thought gout is caused by just eating all the wrong foods. I bet your eating fast food and all kinds of garbage and just start to eat healthier when you suffer. You should really go on a lean meat and vegetables diet and cut off all the sugar.
|

No, my diet is pretty decent. I am over weight but I don't eat a lot of junk. Before I got my attack I was eating a lot of ground sirlion, turkey, chicken, tuna and pizza with pepperoni brown rice, wheat pasta. Never ate any fast food.

I normally soak my feet in ice watter I tried warm water and lightly massaged the toe area. It feels so jelly like where it is swelling.

I think I REALLY screwed up waiting a week before seeking any treatment. As I said, I would have some pain here and there and thought that was all this was going to be. Sad
|

replied August 16th, 2007
ohthepain wrote:
Me again Sad

It has now been 8 weeks and 1 day and the left big toe joint still has the pinch and gets swollen.

I been to the doctors 3 times now. I just finished my 3rd dose of indocin and he gave me a dose of steriods like you would take for poisin. And now I am on Allopurinol.

I have finsihed the indocin and steriods and just like before the swelling and pinch go away but not completely. My question is I been taking the Allopurinol now for 2 weeks should the Allopurinol be working by now?

I been icing my foot 3 times a day in a big bucket of ice water. I find doing that is easier than trying to balance an ice pack on toe joint and underneath the joint. I am also staying away from red meats, shell fish, and organ meats.

Has anyone heard or battled gout as long as I have? Just seems it does not want to go away and it's frustrating when I am doing everything I can to get better. I stay off my feet as much as I can my job is a sit down job (thankfully).

I have heard in some cases the crystals are so built up in a joint that surgery to grind them out is nessasary. I hope this is not my case, but I can't seem to find anyone who has battled gout attack for 8 weeks Sad

Hi,

I feel for you. It really sounds miserable. Allopurinol will not cure an attack; it helps prevent them. However, you still have to eat a good diet when on allopurinol.

Unfortunately, sometimes starting allopurinol during an attack can prolong the attack. Do not stop taking the allopurinol however unless your doctor tells you to do so. Doing that can trigger another attack.

Ride this out as it will get better. You may want to ask your doctor about taking a colchicine tablet everyday as well.

Hang in there.

Ray
|

replied August 16th, 2007
Thanks Ray...

Just got back from doctors (I am starting to hate doctor trips). He gave me another round of indomethacin. prednisone, and colchicine and told me to keep taking the Allopurinol.

Hope the colchicne helps I did not even ask him about the colchine.
|

replied August 17th, 2007
Hope your attack is getting better. Concerning any one around with and attack for 8 weeks or longer. I have on 4 occaisions had an attack longer than that. Most recent one started on 19 Dec 06 and required two seperate hospitalizations (both knees, both ankles, left big toe, rt/lt achilles area,rt elbow, rt index finger) now not all at the same time but usually four of the joints inflammed at once.

I take allopurinol (do not stop during and attack) probenicid, colchinne, indomentacin, daily. Presently on a predinisone taper since 8 Feb. Get down to 10mg and it flairs up again and the doc sends me back to 40 mg for 2 weeks then 30 etc.

I've had the gout since 3 July 1990. Initially the attacks came weeks/months apart. They are much more frequent now and usually I get a migrane with them now. I'm about 8 lbs overweight according to the Navy and am a diabetic also. Prednisone sends your sugar levels all over the map.

Gout is no fun

V/R
Jeff
|

replied August 17th, 2007
Gout
Hi friends,
i joined today and may be senior most living with gout i.e. for about 17 years.
Soon I will be sharing my experience on gout here. Cool
|

replied August 22nd, 2007
Re: Me Again :(
ohthepain wrote:
Me again Sad

I been icing my foot 3 times a day in a big bucket of ice water. I find doing that is easier than trying to balance an ice pack on toe joint and underneath the joint. (

My friend, try ditching the ice and applying moist heat. I know it sounds strange - heat for swelling? But crystals form at lower temps and in my experience, heat has been the ONLY thing that brings relief. Try taking a hot bath if you don't have a hot water bottle.

Again, this has worked in my experience but it may not for you - it just seems as if you need something to try at this point. Good luck dude.
|

replied June 26th, 2009
First off my heart felt understanding for everyone on this board as I too have lived with Gout since 2001.

I am not sure my spelling is correct on this med, but I use difussional as soon as i get that "certain" ache in usally my ankle or elbow. As we all know attacks vary in length, but I have found if i hit it hard with the meds as soon as it sets in and keep taking it for a good week even after the pain is gone makes all the difference.

I am not in the shape i was in 20 years ago, but have worked out since my High School football days in the 80's, my diet is SOLID. I have perplexed doctors over and over with my physical shape and diet and the extreme battles i have had with gout and have debunked the "diet" therory, or at least in my case.

My thought is protien poisoning from high protien diets and years and years of protien shakes eaten on an empty stomach to stay lean while working out.

Anyway, as soon as my attachs subside enough to start excercising again I do and that helps out TREMENDOUSLY!!

God Bless to all and let us all pray for a cure to this and soon!

PC
|

replied June 27th, 2009
Experienced User
jagstd - Large studies have shown that diet has only a small effect on gout. Make sure that you don't have sleep apnea. That can be a direct cause of overnight gout attacks.
|

replied December 12th, 2009
18 Day Gout attack
I am on day 18 of a gout attack. I waited to late to start treatments. I am taking 2 tps of apple cider vinager with the mother 3x daily with some relief. A hot foot soak helps draw the pain out. Swelling goes down as long as I don't walk to much. Today I'm going to drink some black bean broth and try that. People with gout will try everything at some point just to get rid of the pain.
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Gout Free Life
To everybody that keep going to the doctor for gout. Stop going, your wasting your time & money. I've done all that. I've done all the remedies, celery pills, cherry pills or fluid, eating watermelon, Lots of fruits, vegtables and the good stuff that is good for you. Yes you do have to kinda watch what you eat, but you don't have to kill your self doing it. I got gout about 3 years ago, I didn't know what it was, I just woke up one morning and my hand was hurting like I had broke a small bone and then it started swelling up,I went to the hospital. They took x-rays and gave me ifreprofen for the swelling,well by that time it's to late ,the gout is full blown and pain pills hardly work for swelling or the pain ( I know this now from experience ) The second time I got it I went to the doctor and they gave me Colchicine, Indomethacin, and all the other perscripion drugs that you have to pay for plus your doctor visit. There is no cure for gout but there are remedies to keep from flare ups. My remedy is 1/2 tsp. of baking soda and about 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar-unflitered or with the mother (it's the same thing, it just says it on the bottle) and about 8 oz. of water. The baking soda takes away the bad taste of the apple cider vinegar-unflitered. It has to be unflitered or it won't eat the uric acid in your blood. I do this every day first thing in the morning, it gets into your blood stream faster. Depending on what I eat or drink that day I might do it again later, it all depends if my joints start tingling (you no what I'm taking about if you've had gout before) Gout we'll sometimes hit you at night just because your body is not moving around as much and it gives the uric acid in your blood to settle in your joints. So you might want to drink it at night, what ever works for you. If durning the day I get tinglings in my joints I'll drink some apple cider vinegar-unflitered with no water and in about 2 hours it's gone. It tastes really bad but it works. Apple cider vinegar unflitered eats up the uric acid in your blood , baking soda rises your PH level in your blood to keep you from getting uric acid. I woundn't drink more than 2 times a day for baking soda, apple cider vinegar unflitered doesn't matter it's very good for you if you can handle the taste. It's good on steakes before you cook them, and salads. Just remember once you've had gout you'll always be prone to it, so if you want to do this remedy, I tell ya it works. I haven't had gout in 2 years. There is no cure just remedies. Have a Gout free life.
|
Users who thank gouthelp for this post: philiphoward1964 

replied July 7th, 2010
I'll give this a go. I've had my gout for 4 months, and not even managed more than 1 week of allopurinol without a flare. I can't run, and am struggling to cycle, even swimming is becoming painful!
|

replied July 11th, 2010
Pleasantly surprised by the faster improvement than usual. Fits in with the alkaline diet philosophy (avoid red meat, shellfish, alcohol, tea, coffee etc), but done in an artificial way.
Managed a 20 mile mountain bike ride yesterday morning up and down some big hills. Will leave a run for a few more days though.
|

replied August 24th, 2010
unfortunatly gout can go into remission for a number for years. So unless i heard that you were 10 years gout free i probably could not rely on this method. But as a gout sufferer i will try it, i will try anything really thats not pills crapped out by the doctor.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....