Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

What Form of Contraception Works For You?

What form of contraception works for you? Ladies I need your help, I am on a mission!

I am still on a mission to find a form of contraception that works for me. I have tried so many. Below is what happened. Does anyone know about anything that works, preferably generic but whatever works for you, please share, I am thinking about just toughing it out with the mood swings Yaz made because everything else was fine and I lost weight and gained boobs ha-ha. But seriously please let me know what worked for you.

Ortho-Tri-Cyclen (Nausea for a duration of about 5 hours after I took it, sleeplessness, moody est.)

Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo (Low sex drive and spotting)

Yaz (moodiness and depression)

Ortho Evera (rash from the patch, nervous because a lot of people are getting blood clots, way more so than any other form of bc)

Nuva Ring (kept sliding down, annoying me and giving me irritation)

Loestrin Generic (hungry hungry all the time hungry)

IUD (oh my god!!!! Terrible, pain pain pain, I still have pelvic pain that has yet to be diagnosed, need surgery to figure out what it could be)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I was on Alesse for 7 years and had no problems. Then I was on NuvaRing for 1 year before finally realizing my symptoms were side effects of the ring.

Now I have been back on Alesse for 2 months and my nuva side effects have disappeared.

It doesn't sound like any form of hormonal birth control would work for you. I would suggest speaking with a doctor or a gynecologist about this list of tried-this-got-that and see what they suggest.

Condoms and spermicide would work reasonably well, but if you are looking for contraception only and not necessarily std protection then that might not be a preferred method for you.
|

replied June 26th, 2007
I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years now and we are in a trusting relationship so we do not use condoms, they are also not as effective if you look at the typical user failure. I get nervous...haha. No kids for me. I also get a rash from condoms. Well I had the IUD which was non-hormone but that was terrible and painful. I will ask my doctor about the one you recomended.

Thanks for the help! Anyone else try anything I have not?
|

replied June 26th, 2007
another thing is that I need to take hormones for my Polysystic Ovarian syndrome, so I got to find something that works.
|

replied July 15th, 2007
Bc
I am currently on the Depo shot. I've heard lots of bad about it but I got in 2 years ago right after I had my son. For the first 6 months i had "slight" clear-tinted brown discharge here and there, just barely enough to wear a panty liner- and after that nothing. I might have gained 5 lbs but it might have just been me too. Might have lowered sex-drive a little and possibly a little more emotional.. but nothing drastic that i really noticed.

I've used the pill but i was always forgetting - the shot it nice. once every 3 months. easy to remember.
|

replied July 15th, 2007
Experienced User
i'm on yaz..no moodiness or depression for me Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied July 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
It sounds as though all that you've tried (except the IUD) have been combined hormone pills... maybe try progesterone pills? Or there is always condoms (if you get a rash from them try natural ones, not latex and make sure they don't have spermicide) and diaphragms and such. Or depo, though I hate to recommend that to anyone it sounds so scary.
|

replied July 18th, 2007
What About Diaphrams
If you have a lot of trouble with hormones, had you thought about something like a diaphram? ( here is an interesting study about them - http://www.thenewsroom.com/details/501848/ Health?c_id=wom-kg-jlt ) the upsides - no hormones, no mood issues, no hip pain. Its a good option. Kate from the newsroom.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Depo Is Horrible- For Me At Least
When I got off i bled for 1 month straight. Then I did not have a period for 5 months, when my cycles started up again I had the worst cramps ever. I have never had cramps in my life. So it took like five months for my cycle to normal out and I "started" 3 times in one month. It can also take a year to conceive after. Every women is different. My mom had none of these side affects and she got pregnant 1 month later. So it depends.

I would not recommend it to anyone.
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I have pcos and seasonale worked wonders for me. I took yasmin (which is similar to yaz) and I had horrible side effects as well. I also found it best to take the pill at night to avoid the possibility of nausea.
|

replied July 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: What About Diaphrams
KTMG wrote:
If you have a lot of trouble with hormones, had you thought about something like a diaphram? ( here is an interesting study about them - http://www.thenewsroom.com/details/501848/ Health?c_id=wom-kg-jlt ) the upsides - no hormones, no mood issues, no hip pain. Its a good option. Kate from the newsroom.

That link does not contain an image of a diaphragm. It has an article from Zimbabwe about how a diaphragm is not effective at preventing the spread of AIDS.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...