Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

I Have Mumps and I am Pregnant

Well I'm just back from the Doctors, I thought I had an ear infection but turns out its mumps.

She wasn't too sure of the effects of mumps on pregnancy and is going to phone me this afternoon.

I'm really worried I've just yahooed it and the chances of mumps in pregnancy are 0.8 to 10 in 10000 pregnant woman. Apparently it can also increase the risk of miscarriage but thats a direct effect of the fever.

I think if I try to keep my temperature down then that might reduce the risk.

I'm scared now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
aaww hun, I just replied to your ear infection post, didnt see this one. Smile I am not sure of the effects of mumps but I do know that most dangers while pregnant are from high temps and rashes.

You can take paracetamol while pregnant and this will keep temps down. Just do your best to relax and drink plenty of clear fluids to help fight the infection, and try not to worry. Hopefully your doctor calls you soon with some news to put your mind at rest.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...