Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

I Think I'm Schizophrenic

I think I may be schizophrenic. I think that the house I'm renting a room in some sort of halfway house. I think the landlord is actually a psychiatrist. I think everyone knows I have schizophrenia. I hear voices in my head and am able to carry out conversations with myself in my head, although I know the voices are not real. Two of my "friends" have mentioned schizophrenia to my face, however, not directed at me. I'll go into a few details about myself. I'm a 19 year old college dropout. My schizophrenia began about a month ago, when I suffered a blackout or nervous breakdown, not sure which. Before then my life had seemed normal. Since then I have not been able to go back. I am paranoid everyone knows my illness and thus will treat me different for the rest of my life. Suicide is constantly on my mind, as is constant worry and confusion about my illness. As a child I was very suspicious of my parents, thinking they were out to ruin my life. I did not have much of a social life as a child or teenager, and do not now either. I am depressed about 98% of the time and have very unusual sleep patterns. I am unable to cry or laugh. I currently smoke marijuana to help with my depression. Schizophrenia has run in my family, my uncle suffers from it, and my family has done there best to keep my away from him, for some reason. I have had nightmares of him coming and killing my family. I don't have hallucinations. Once again, I think I may be schizophrenic. I don't think an assessment is even necessary.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2008
Supporter
Well if you are sure i would go and see a psychiatrist to organise some sort of treatment. i don't believe the marijuana is helping your situation. It may not be schizophrenia it could also be a psychotic episode that can be caused by depression and also by marijuana. 3 in 100 people are prone to having a psychotic episode. Sounds like you are extremely depressed so you should really see a doctor regarding the depression too.
|

replied July 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I will repeat what harmony has told you. You sound like you are suffering from a depressive disorder. This requires treatment and you may want to think about going to see a psychiatrist about this. It would appear that you have some other disorder as well. Not every person with schizophrenia has hallucinations. The hallucinations can present at any time during an exacerbation of the disorder. If you are suffering from schizophrenia, hallucinations may present later on. You clearly have something going on and you need to talk to a psychiatrist about this. Treatment can help lessen the severity of the disorder and help with the symptoms of the disorder. I hope you will see a doctor and get treatment.
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
hope this helps
I had a schizophrenic episode that lasted almost a week, and I believe that it was caused directly by using marijuana combined with certain stressors in my life.. It was living hell. I would lay of the pot right away, and completely stay off substance. Take niacin and massive doses of b- vitamins to clear the dopamine in your brain (the chemical which relates to shizophrenic delusions) If this was your first episode, then it's unlikely that you have shizophrenia, but you may just be having an episode. Seek therapy. There is no shame in that, lay off the drugs, meditate, and regain your life back.
|

replied September 24th, 2010
I had a mental break down, literally, about a year and some months ago. It tore apart my life instantly, and i started hearing things and seeing things. I couldn't do anything i wanted to do. I couldn't function. Physically. I could think, my mind was so hazy and confused and so scattered, it was like a bomb went off. I dropped out of school, I almost got kicked out of my house, I been hospitalized twice, and both times i've had weird, spiritual experiances. At first, i thought this was just schizophrenia, which everyone said and i said. Until weird things started to happen. Like bangs, and bumps on the walls and ceilings. Long story short, schizophrenia might be linked spiritually, because i was defiantly experiencing something other then schizophrenia
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....