User Profile
There is a girl at my school who seems to be suicidal. She has told everyone that she has a skin condition; but I can tell that it might be more than a skin disorder. She says when ever she gets a bug bite she picks at it. The thing is that she picks them all the way to the white of her tissue! I thought it might be skin ulcers at first; and the markings on her arms ar very similar to skin ulcers but the symptoms don't match up to skin ulcers. She has inflamation and secretion. But after they start to close up, and eventually heal, they become grey in color. I thought the coloring might be do to bruising from picking at them. But I just need to know if this girl might have a skin disorder before I make any accusations. So can to tell me the possible skin disorders she might have? Here are the symptoms of her disorder; greyish in color, crusty, secretion, scabs, weltish looking, and appears in numerous blisters around one specific area of her arm. Please help so I can help her.Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Insect Bites Answer A3037
A skin lesion experienced after a bug bite depends upon several factors:

1. The type of the bug – different bugs have different poisons and skin lesions appear differently according to the type of bug;
2. Allergic reaction – different people react differently to outside substances like bug poison. An allergic reaction is an excessive inflammatory reaction to something from the outside. Such allergic reactions can be more harmful than useful. Some allergic reaction can be even life threatening;
3. Secondary bacterial infection – Manipulations with fingernails after the bite can contaminate the skin lesion and create an additional bacterial infection.

A dermatologist will be able to diagnose the real problem ... and if you are concerned about this girl's health, you can show some compassion toward her and take the action you feel is appropriate.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.