Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Cloning and Stem Cell Debate Forum

Should Governments Fund Stem Cell Research?

User Profile
What are they going to do with the findings?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't know what's they're going to do with them, but much to everyone's surprise, our government isn't out to kill us lol.
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
yeah suprizingly enough lol---Im still learning all about this so ive no clue Anyone>?
|

replied October 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am all for stem cell research. There could very well be a cure in one or more of the findings. Now that we have this technology, we should get the funding we need to make it work. Imagine all the lives that could be saved with just one cure. And on the flip side I agree, yes they could kill us all with their findings. Shocked
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I think its too good of an opportunity to pass. Or rather, it in inevitable because we as greedy (i mean this as in our thirst for knowledge and advancement) human beings will not allow for this technology to pass by for the sake of morality. Morality didn't stop us from creating the Atomic and Hydrogen bomb, the bombs in existence now since Hiroshima are far more powerful to an exponential level. Apparently California and New York are the only two states that really hasn't cared for what Bush desired, and California is doing research on stem cell technology. Most other technological countries are funding for research in stem cell, assuming it works, it's only a matter of time before one of the countries manage to "perfect" it. Thus it's foolish for America to hold back from this possibility, we declared ourself as a superpower after all with our spacerace and nuclear arms race against Russia. Stem cell research could likely be another one of the greatest advancements this world has ever seen, we would lose a huge advantage by not catching up. With the resources available to the American government, they can do this easily instead of spending billions on this war on Iraq, we'd be saving gas and lives as well. Sure it might cost them heavily researching it, but how much they could make from all the potential customers would far surpass that. If I read this correctly, and after discussing it with my smart engineer friends, stem cell research could be used for nearly anything, ranging from remaking of brain cells to bring back memories in Alzheimer's, to recreating destroyed organs, skin, to even the possibility of enhancing your NATURAL breast size or penis size. Plastic surgery, pssh, I think people would pay for real ones instead. This however, I am talking about in terms of economy and what would be right for the government.

I personally as a human think that while this technology is amazing and would help save so many lives and aid others, etc. I cannot help but give a little shudder at the thought of such a technology and what it would do for us. Yes, we are all humans who care for somebody and would likely give anything if it meant saving or helping them, but has it not been nature's way, or God's way as some of you would state, that death is a natural process to maintaining a balance within the world? With so many people who at one point should have passed away, but did not, we are already facing global warming, extinction of millions of species (I learned in bio class that within the next 10 years, a million species of flora/fauna are expected to go extinct), over population, etc, we may be prolonging our individual lives, but perhaps not the quality of the human race as a whole in the future. But of course, who really cares for that, but of ourselves and the people we know of this time.
|

replied October 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Ditto!
|

replied October 19th, 2007
Even as a Christian I am all for stem cell research. Most debate against it is caused by fear and mis-construed ideas that have been manipulated to scare the public by the media.

Story from school that has nothing to do with stem cell research:

I was growing some non pathogenic E.Coli to mid-log phase to prepare competent E.Coli cells. The tube dropped out of my pocket in my english class, my teacher picks it up, asks what it is.

Immediately the tube is thrown half way accross the room in fear, I quickly try to explain that it's not pathogenic, you have E.Coli growing in your intestines, it's not all dangerous like the strains you find in produce. And before I finish the second word me and my little microbe babies are kicked out of her room.

The point of this? Ignorance is not always bliss!

People don't want to know the whole story or wouldn't even understand it if told. They are scared by what the media tells them and don't understand what is truly going on. This is why politics and science shouldn't get intermingled!
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I'm very sorry your teacher did that! The ignorance of some people! Understanding stages of development and everything associated with stem cell research is so vital... I know people who won't get a vaccination because they think it has virulent living viruses in it :/
|

replied October 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
I'm very sorry your teacher did that! The ignorance of some people! Understanding stages of development and everything associated with stem cell research is so vital... I know people who won't get a vaccination because they think it has virulent living viruses in it :/

Is'nt that the truth. Most do think they are being given a live vaccine. Very good issue brought up here.

Carrie
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
lol @ the stupidity of hurling a suspected poison across the room!!!!! Wouldn't that only increase the danger by spreading it all over?

Great example and analogy, btw. Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
If stem cell research should be funded, should the government be doing the funding?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes the government should be doing the funding. It could quite well cost millions if not billions, but the government would have control over it. If they can control who is authorized to use stem cell research, they can also get money off of this. It would be a nice way for our government (U.S.) to make money while it still being beneficial for many people. I mean come on, if stem cells can be any one of the 220 types of cells in the human body, that could mean that we can use it to fix or cure any deformalities or loss of cells. Whether its a huge scarring of the face from a car accident, or yes revival of brain cells from alzheimer (cant spell -_-), etc, theoretically it could all work. Loads of people would pay for such things, even for minor "flaws" in their physical appearance
|

replied October 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Georgia59 wrote:
If stem cell research should be funded, should the government be doing the funding?

Why not? It sure funds a lot of other stuff.
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I don't know, does the government do most medical reserach? I guess I am niave about this issue....

I just thought universities and research hospitals did all the research....
|

replied November 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
They do a lot of it, but the funding comes from the government for a lot of it.
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
hmm.....
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Was there a question coming anytime soon after the "hmm...."?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
lol not really, I was just thinking.
|
Quick Reply