Hello, i'm new to this forum..i'm wondering if i might have gout..i've had a very swollen knee for almost 2 years now and while it is always uncomfortable and noticable it only occassionally hurts (a lot). Ive been to two G.P.'s who are yet to diagnose anything..theyve had my leg plastered and ive been on crutches several times, ive had 2 x-ray's , which didnt show any abnormallites...
Also im 26, and my mother had arthitis in her early thirties..Any light you could shed on my situation would be brilliant.tanks x Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Sorry your knee is swollen and hurting. The best kind of doctors to diagnose and treat gout, pseudo gout, osteoarthritis are rheumatologists. If you see one, I suggest that you ask him/her to test your joint fluid (arthrocentesis) which can tell if the problem is caused by organisms, crystals, etc. Good luck.
|

replied June 26th, 2007
Thanks for your help. That's exactly what i'll do. Cheers!
|

replied October 27th, 2007
a normal gout attacks wont last that long.
may be a couple of weeks or maximum a month an attack stands for

gout appears quickly but reduces very slowly in general.
|

replied December 28th, 2010
You could have chronic gout where the symptoms lessen but don't entirely go away, especially if you are eating things which aggravate the gout (meat and certain vegs). If it is chronic the "bad" foods aren't limited to organ meats and shellfish. Just about any protein source can be aggravating. If you keep feeding it, you'll keep having symptoms. And don't let them tell you that your to young or women can't get it before menopause. My first major attack was at forty-five but now I can look back and see where a lot of my problems and pains since I was in my twenties were probably early less severe attacks. If I had know then what to do I could have maybe avoided a lot of pain and problems later. It doesn't always start in the big toe. Keep researching and find a good doctor, titles don't always mean they know any more. Find someone who will listen to you and look beyond the lab tests.
|
Tags: arthitis, swollen
Quick Reply
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....