Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Recommended Athletic Shoe For Drop Foot

I've had drop foot for more than 20 years. I'm very athletic and haven't worn a brace in over 18 years. Over the past 2 months I've experienced SEVERE pain in the outside of my foot. Is there an athletic shoe (running, court, cross-trainer) that's recommended for drop foot?

Any help is appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think that the new pain in your foot is from your foot drop. You might consider going to a podiatrist to see if there is a problem with your foot. Podiatrists are pretty good at picking out the best shoe brand for a particular problem, and it may be that a good orthotic could help you.
|

replied June 22nd, 2007
I've been to both a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon and both report that it's due to the foot drop. Basically, because of the foot drop, my foot doesn't land flat with each step but "sideways" meaning the outer edge of the foot is now supporting my step instead of the sole.

An AFO brace is to be made within the next 2 weeks. In the meantime I need to find a shoe that I can wear without it. I've got to believe that there's a running/court/cross-training shoe that doctors who treat drop foot recommend.

Thanks again and please keep the info comming.
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well, it's good to know what the pain is from. I really can't tell you of a shoe that will help you with this. I guess if you are walking and your foot deviates laterally, then you should look for a shoe without much of a built-up arch. That would help you to land more flat-ly when you are walking, I would think. I know that New Balance are some of the best running shoes out there, so you might start there. Also,if you go to a reputable shoe store, and let them know that you need a shoe with no build-up in the arch, they may be able to fit you for something that will work.
|

replied June 22nd, 2007
There's a new balance store here in town. I'll call them within the hour. I agree with your suggestiong with regard to the arch support. I've been using the same running shoe (Nike air monarch) for the past 5 years with no problems until now. I purposely used this shoe as it had a wide sole that (I think) allowed the foot to be more stable.

Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find out on this end.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....